Pekin Can't Walk

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Calendula, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Calendula

Calendula Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2014
    Hello. Today when I went to lock up my birds, I realized that the ducks were still out. I went tp chase them in when I realized that our year and a half old female Pekin wouldn't walk. I picked her up and set her down by the door so she could go over to her bed. She stood up and rocked back and forth with her wings extended for balance before falling down. A couple minutes later, she managed to walk a couple steps before falling again.

Is there anything that I can do? My dad thinks that she has lost weight, but I'm not so sure.

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    Check for Bumble Foot this might make walking painful.

3. Calendula

Aug 15, 2014
    Alright, thanks. I'll do that tomorrow.

Could it possibly be a niacin deficiency? They're free ranged, but are also fed a feed from a store that mixes their own specifically for chickens.

4. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    If it's for chickens, then I can guarantee they aren't getting enough niacin.

5. Calendula

Aug 15, 2014
    I'm guessing it's the feed since they haven't been on it for too long.

6. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    How long is "not long"? Also, is she still eating and pooping normally?

No matter what's causing this, I think you still need to supplement your feed with niacin.

7. Sahararose

Sahararose New Egg

Aug 31, 2014
    My duck did the same thing when he was little. Kept falling down as though he were fainting and could only walk on his "knees". Per vet instructions, I gave him 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar per gallon of water to aid in digestion & help keep parasites at bay, a few drops of Enfamil Poly-Vi-Sol in their water for vitamins and either brewer's yeast or Niacin (found at Wal-Mart) sprinkled over their food. I did this for a few weeks and my poor little lame duck is now strong & healthy like the rest. Hope this helps your duck. I don't think it could hurt him.

8. Calendula

Aug 15, 2014
    She's been eating her current feed for about six months. Today, we went and bought some electrolytes to mix with her water along with duck feed. We also called someone who has had ducks for years and are.going to try what they suggested along with everything suggested here.

I believe it is bumble foot, but the sores aren't on the pads of her feet, they're on her toes.

9. Sahararose

Sahararose New Egg

Aug 31, 2014
    I really hope she gets better. Please let us know how she is & what you found to work or not work well. Thank you.

10. Calendula

Aug 15, 2014
    Thank you.

So far she's looking good. :) The vet suggested a shot of penicillin. We also tried to cut open the bumble foot, but appear it was stage two where you can't cut it and everything.
    Anyway, right now she's in a tub in the living room. She's looking around as opposed to sleeping and she looks better, so I'm guessing she is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by