Pekin / cochin bantam and what else?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Bossom-hen, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Bossom-hen

Bossom-hen Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2013
    England, UK
    [​IMG] The wheaten hen on the left is supposed to be a pekin bantam (cochin bantam to my American friends). However she has a comb which very obviously does not conform to the breed standard (see below). Also she has less feathers on her feet and is significantly larger than her friends weighing over 1kg. She is showing signs of coming into lay but this is later than her companions who started to lay last summer. Whilst she clearly has a lot of the intended breed about her I would love to know what else is in there. The breeder hatched the eggs sorced from elsewhere so is no wiser than me. I would be very interested to hear any ideas.
    ([​IMG]

2. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    maybe a bantam cochin/pekin crossed with a buff brahma. That wouldn't explain the sparse leg feathering though. Just a guess

3. Bossom-hen

Bossom-hen Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2013
    England, UK
    Oh I think you may be onto something, especially as there is a bantam version of this type of hen. Perhaps she is half pekin half bantam buff brahma. I found this picture of a bantam buff brahma .
    [​IMG]

She seems to have the unusual comb too, there are very interesting similarities aren't there? Thank you :)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by