Pekin/Cochin Bantams

NottinghamChicks

Songster
9 Years
Aug 31, 2010
Tip of Rockingham County, NH
I have decided to get a few Blue and a few White Cochin Bantams in the Spring and wonder if anyone else has them and what I can expect especially with the crowing noise levels and breeding them for what I have read will be Splash Cochins.
jumpy.gif
If there is anyone local to me I would love to get them locally otherwise I will have to start with Hatchery Stock.
roll.png

Would love to hear your thoughts and experiences.
pop.gif

First off congrats on picking a wonderful breed. Cochin Bantams and about if not the most popular feather footed breed. They are not a relativley loud breed per say, but the roosters do crow and the hens can get pretty talkative at times. But for the most part they are very laid back and just wonder about. If you want Splash you dont want to breed a White bird to a Blue, you want to breed two Blue birds together. And just because you cant find what you want locally you can always have birds or eggs shipped to you by a breeder, for about the same price, maybe even cheaper, than buying hatchery stock.

~Casey

You will love the cochin bantams. I raise blue mottled and black mottled. I have neighbors house about 40 feet from my roosters and they don't mind the crowing. It isn't nearly as loud as a big chicken. There's about 15 roosters out there of various sizes and even the 3 month old ones are in competition with the big guys. I'm a long way from you, I'm in Washington

You will LOVE them. I have Bantam Mille Fleur, Silver Laced and a Red. All are friendly - to the point of almost being too friendly
smile.png

The splash color is part of the Blue coloring and breeds like so:

Blue x Blue = 50% blue 25% Black 25% Splash
Blue x Black = 50% Blue 50% Black
Black x Splash= 100% Blue
Splash x Splash= 100% Splash
Black x Black = 100% Black
Blue x Splash = 50% Blue 50% Splash

I also encourage you to purchase from a breeder who breeds toward the APA Bantam Cochin standard.

Thank you all for your encouragement and wisdom. I will try to find a breeder to start my new Cochin hobby. If anyone knows where I should start please drop me a note. I would prefer to order them from someone who has spent time perfecting them to the standards as oppose to the hatcheries which are a crap shoot for standards.
hmm.png

Merry Christmas to all!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom