Pekin/Cochin Bantams

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by NottinghamChicks, Dec 23, 2010.

1. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

I have decided to get a few Blue and a few White Cochin Bantams in the Spring and wonder if anyone else has them and what I can expect especially with the crowing noise levels and breeding them for what I have read will be Splash Cochins. [​IMG] If there is anyone local to me I would love to get them locally otherwise I will have to start with Hatchery Stock. [​IMG]

Would love to hear your thoughts and experiences. [​IMG]

2. Mr. Ree

Mr. Ree Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    South Central, KY
    First off congrats on picking a wonderful breed. Cochin Bantams and about if not the most popular feather footed breed. They are not a relativley loud breed per say, but the roosters do crow and the hens can get pretty talkative at times. But for the most part they are very laid back and just wonder about. If you want Splash you dont want to breed a White bird to a Blue, you want to breed two Blue birds together. And just because you cant find what you want locally you can always have birds or eggs shipped to you by a breeder, for about the same price, maybe even cheaper, than buying hatchery stock.

~Casey

3. kkaymci55

kkaymci55 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2008
    Puyallup, Washington
    You will love the cochin bantams. I raise blue mottled and black mottled. I have neighbors house about 40 feet from my roosters and they don't mind the crowing. It isn't nearly as loud as a big chicken. There's about 15 roosters out there of various sizes and even the 3 month old ones are in competition with the big guys. I'm a long way from you, I'm in Washington

4. kkaymci55

Jan 28, 2008
    Puyallup, Washington
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 month blue mottled, 8 month black mottled

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  5. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

You will LOVE them. I have Bantam Mille Fleur, Silver Laced and a Red. All are friendly - to the point of almost being too friendly [​IMG]

The splash color is part of the Blue coloring and breeds like so:

Blue x Blue = 50% blue 25% Black 25% Splash
    Blue x Black = 50% Blue 50% Black
    Black x Splash= 100% Blue
    Splash x Splash= 100% Splash
    Black x Black = 100% Black
    Blue x Splash = 50% Blue 50% Splash

I also encourage you to purchase from a breeder who breeds toward the APA Bantam Cochin standard.

6. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

OH MY - I like how this boy is looking - at least from this angle [​IMG] Cannot wait to see him as he ages.

[​IMG]

7. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    Quote:dont get your start from a hatchery, there are several breeders out there you can get your stock from

8. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Thank you all for your encouragement and wisdom. I will try to find a breeder to start my new Cochin hobby. If anyone knows where I should start please drop me a note. I would prefer to order them from someone who has spent time perfecting them to the standards as oppose to the hatcheries which are a crap shoot for standards. [​IMG]

Merry Christmas to all!

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  9. shellybean40

shellybean40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    I have three bantam cochin hens that I got from TSC. They are the sweetest girls I have. They don't lay every day, but they are so wonderful.

10. kkaymci55

Jan 28, 2008
    Puyallup, Washington
    Quote:Thankyou

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by