Pekin colour breeding chart

Heidis29

Songster
Jan 29, 2022
Just wondering if there is a reference chart somewhere to give you an idea of what colours bred together will produce? I have a black hen of unknown background that I would like to put to a white cockerel. He’s from a millefleur x birchen.

Chicks: probably a lot of black ones, chance of other colors.

Just wondering if there is a reference chart somewhere to give you an idea of what colours bred together will produce?
I do not know of any chart like that.
It would probably be impossible, given how many different genes and interactions would be involved.

There is a genetics calculator:
http://kippenjungle.nl/breeds/crossbreeds.html

It has some breeds/colors programmed in that you can choose from a list, or you can just change individual genes to match what each of your chickens have.

I have a black hen of unknown background that I would like to put to a white cockerel. He’s from a millefleur x birchen.
The black hen would have E for extended black. That is dominant over most other things, so you will get a bunch of black chicks. You may also get other colors, depending on what other genes she is carrying.

The cockerel must have recessive white (c/c), because that is the only kind of white that can appear from a cross of Mille Fleur and Birchen. But when you breed him to any other color, each chick will get only one copy of the gene for recessive white, so they will show colors instead.
Other genes the cockerel probably has:
E^R/E^Wh (Birchen/Wheaten, from a Birchen parent and a Mille Fleur parent)
Mo+/mo (not-mottled from the Birchen parent, mottled from the Mille Fleur parent. Because mottling is recessive, it will not show in his chicks unless their mother also has the mottling gene and passes it on to them.)
S/s+ (Silver/gold, with Silver being from the Birchen parent and gold from the Mille Fleur parent.)

The cockerel and the hen will both have these genes:
b+/b+ or b+/- (pure for not-barred)
Choc+/Choc+ or Choc+/- (pure for not-chocolate)
i+/i+ (pure for not-Dominant-White)
bl+/bl+ (pure for not-Blue)
I do not know for sure about the other color genes on the page.
The whole bunch of genes at the bottom, that just have symbols with no names, relate to things other than colors. I can summarize: any special trait found in the parents, like foot feathers, crest, muff/beard, 5th toe, etc., has a chance to show up in the chicks. Any such trait that is not present in the parents will probably not show up in the chicks either.

Back
Top Bottom