Pekin died during the night - Help to diagnose

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by philbey, Jul 8, 2011.

1. philbey

philbey New Egg

Jul 8, 2011
    Hi all, I'm a long time reader of the forum but only just signed up. Currently live in South Australia, we raised 3 Pekins from ducklings (1 drake, 2 ducks), simply for entertainment value. They're about 18 months old

Sadly one of my ducks died during the night and I'm hoping to ascertain what may have caused it? It's winter here and it's been cold lately, but last night was definitely not the coldest night we've seen recently, probably about 8-10 degrees celsius (46-50 degrees F)

My coop is built primarily to cope with Australian summers so is reasonably open. It's a full open front with narrow mesh slits at the top of the other sides to allow airflow. Apart from the cold, I can't think of many other causes of death. All 3 ducks appeared to be in good health so I don't believe it was disease.

One had started laying again recently after a hiatus, I believe it was the one that died as she was in the same spot as the last egg. Could this be a factor?

Do they just tend to pass unexpectedly? We're very attached to our ducks, so anything to keep the other two in good health is a priority right now!

Thanks

TP.

Sorry for the morose intro by the way!

2. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Sorry to hear about your duck. I'm no expert, but could she have been egg bound?

3. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    So sorry to hear you lost a duck. It wasn't the cold. Mine used to sleep outside in the snow instead of their house. It does seem like the laying could have been the issue. Apart from opening her up, I'm not sure you'll ever know either way.

4. Senna95

Senna95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Woodland
    Do you have anything poisonous such as snakes or scorpions? Or perhaps she ate something poisonous?

I doubt she was eggbound. Usually they show some sort of sign... they're lathargic for a few days, stop eating, and generally seem miserable.

Sorry for your loss by the way.

5. philbey

philbey New Egg

Jul 8, 2011
    Thanks for the feedback. I haven't let them out for a couple of days due to starting early and finishing late at work. They were all quacking and moving around their coop as best I could tell in the dark over the last few days.

Egg-bound is a new concept to me, perhaps that was the issue, if she was lethargic I may just not have noticed it. She was never as active as the other three.

Well life goes on. Doesn't seem right with only two, I think we'll get another duckling. Can anyone tell me what the breeding season for them is? When Ducklings are likely to be available? Its mid winter here at the moment.

Cheers

6. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I hatch year round - but not many other people with ducks do that here in Australia unless they have a meat bird farm. Many people i know have recently had there ducks start laying again after molting so you may be lucky enough to find a duckling fairly soon - although raising one on its own can be an issue as they tend to get very lonely. Also -in temperatures such as we currently have- getting more than 1- they can help to keep each other warm. There are a few places that I often see ducks advertised for sale in Australia- I will PM you some links to them.

7. animalpro24

animalpro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    Quote:Sorry about your duck.
    If your getting another duck get two more. if you get one then it won't be a real part of your pair, get two so that even when they don't want to be by the duckling he will have a buddy.

8. philbey

philbey New Egg

Jul 8, 2011
    Good news out of the bad is that a local breeder is expecting ducklings within a week or so. Our ducks have been notoriously bad parents so I dont expect them to have ducklings of their own anytime soon.

We thought of getting only 1 in the hope that it will "imprint" more than the first 3 did. They were a little shy and only come to you if there's food in your hand haha. I think two will be a good idea, don't want it to get lonely.

Thanks for your advice guys, look forward to participating more regularly on what has been a good forum for information!

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Don't forget the pictures! and [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by