Pekin Drake affection or aggression?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by pennylane, Mar 13, 2013.

1. pennylane

pennylane Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2012
    I have found several older posts on this but I am still unsure of the answer.

I have two drakes which are about 6 months old. They are kept outside. The weather is warming and they are definitely feeling full of themselves. In the last few weeks, the have begun to really cling to me. They follow me around (they used to run from me even though I've been their primary caregiver since day one). They nip at my legs and shoes. They try to run after me and follow me out the door. If I put my hand out they nibble all over and rub and pinch my arms/hands/fingers.

I honestly thought it was because they like me. But is it aggression instead?

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    If they are nibbling lightly then they might be seeing you as a potential mate

3. pennylane

pennylane Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2012
    That's what I'm thinking. It isn't enough to break skin or even bruise. And they don't go near anyone else. Just me. But they sure do like to nibble me. Everywhere.

4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    In that case I would definitely vote affection. I had a aggressive drake that would bite me and he would always leave bruises.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by