Pekin drake is a child molester

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Rosebud 18, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Rosebud 18

Rosebud 18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    middle Tn
    I let my ducks,goose and chickens out between 6:00 & 6:30 every morning. I give them fresh water and feed and while I was doing this I heard a noise like a squeek and looked around and my pekin drake was mating with one of my little runners. I didn't see her at first because she is so little and he is so big and they were in some tall grass. When I realized what was happening I ran over and knocked him off of her. She is only 3 1/2 months old and I sure hope she wasn't injuried internally. I was so angry at him that I locked him in a pen by himself. I put his mate in with him tonight. Do ducks usually mate this young or did he rape her. I'm still angry about this.

2. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

Ducks will do what ducks do....

3. GrannyCarol

GrannyCarol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2011
    Washington
    3 and a half months is a bit early, but not unusual. If your drake doesn't have enough girls, he might harass younger ducks that he normally wouldn't bother. You may want to keep him separate for a couple weeks, but she is approaching egg laying age. I really doubt he'd hurt her internally.

4. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

my drake is now living somewhere else because he molested my chickens.they seem not to care what/who/age

5. mymacandstormy

mymacandstormy New Egg

May 7, 2011
    here is a question asked in yahoo birds a while back:

" know this sounds odd, but my mother doesn't know what to do. We have 9 chickens (Rhode Island reds), and 3 female ducks and one drake. One of our ducks has recently starting sittin on eggs, soon after we noticed some chickens missing many feathers on their bottom? like pink exposed skin?it's not a disease, we've had them checked out, and some local famer told us that the drake is raping them, in turn, pulling out the feathers? other day we found one chicken, missing feathers, floating in the duck pond, drowned..The what do we do?? why is he doing this???"

and the answer........

"Please separate the drakes and the female ducks from the chickens! I've lost a hen from being chased to death by my past ducks ( I don't have ducks anymore ) My past ducks also managed to gang up on one of my hens and literally chewed off her toes. :T They later died from being driven on by cars when trying to cross my property to the pond across my street. In general, from my experience, ducks and hens do not mix."

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by