Pekin drakes harassing goose

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by gwennym, Sep 19, 2009.

1. gwennym

gwennym Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Edwardsville, IL
    Hi all ... my 2 newest Pekin drakes have been chasing my lone Toulouse goose. I have 5 other Pekins, 1 drake and 4 ducks, all of who get along with Miss Goose just fine. The 2 new drakes were from my Mom, who had a similar problem with a lone Toulouse goose. I anticipate getting 5 more adult geese (2 African, 3 Toulouse) next weekend. Will this, hopefully, solve the harassment issue?

thanks -- Gwen

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Will this, hopefully, solve the harassment issue?

I would think so. I can't see and African goose putting up with such nonsense from a little ole duck! [​IMG]

3. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    We have just the opposite problem. Our Sebastopol gander, Prince Peter, picks on our ducks. When he and I go for a walk around our property, he'll immediately go right after the ducks through their fence.

I hope you find a solution to your problem. I keep PP away from that side of the property to avoid problems now.

Laurie

4. gwennym

gwennym Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Edwardsville, IL
    I was watching the 2 Pekins that I thought were the problem, but turns out it's only ONE of them ... the smaller of the 2. Could be he has "short man syndrome?" No offense to any shorter men on the forum.[​IMG]

5. protodon

protodon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    Nottingham,PA
    Well I had a similar problem but I had 2 Blue Swedish drakes harassing 5 white chinese geese. And really harassing one of those geese in particular. I was surprised that the drakes bossed those big geese around but they did. The drakes seem to have settled down for now though. Perhaps mating season is over? I'm not sure. I guess it depends on the personality of the geese.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by