Pekin duck acting "off" , UPDATED 1/22/11

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by yomama, Dec 28, 2010.

1. yomama

yomama Overrun With Chickens

I have a 10 month old female Pekin duck named Pickles. She is my only duck, (with currently), 5 chickens, all hens, whom she was raised with since day 2. Normally she is very active, making a big mess of everything, just like a happy duck should. Two days ago, she was very active and acting completely normal. Yesterday, she was acting very low key, not rooting around in the mud like normal, and seemed to have more than normal liquidy poo. She didn't show any interest in some scraps that I threw out either, which is NOT normal, but seemed to be drinking alot of water. A little history that might help: about 2 1/2 weeks ago, one of my hens was attacked and killed, outside of the chicken yard that Pickles and my chickens free range in( my hen snuck out). Then, about 4 days ago, my rooster was killed in the chicken yard while freeranging. Both killings happened during the middle of the day. Since then, I have been locking my chickens and Pickles in the coop at night, and only allowing them access to their coop and 10' x 40' fully enclosed run during the day.(the coop is attatched to the run) Normally, they all have 24/7 access to their run, not being locked in the coop at night, and freerange with access to the run and coop during the day. Since we think it may be a mink killing my chickens, we are afraid it can get through the holes the run fencing is made out of. I moniter them during the day, while they are in the run. If I am not going to be home, which has happened a few times for a few hours at a time since we have started locking them up, I keep them in the coop.The coop is 8' x 4', and I keep it VERY clean. It is filled with pine shavings, and has a poop drop board. I clean the poop board every morning, as well as the big glob of poo Pickles usually leaves. There has not been a big glob of poo for that past two mornings, which makes sense, now, since she has been having watery poos. It's probably getting soaked up in the shavings. I'm wondering, is it possible that she is just acting "off" from the stress of being cooped up? or is it possible something else might be brewing? My chickens have been a through a thorough worming program, but I read lots of info not to worm ducks, so I have not wormed her. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

ETA: went out this morning, and noticed that she was not at all intersted in the BOSS and cracked corn that I throw out for the chickens. I'm afraid she isn't eating at all. Also, her poo is not only very runny, but it is white, and mint green in color.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  2. yomama

Anyone? [​IMG]

3. yomama

Not sure why noone responded to my post, but I thought I would share what I found out anyways. I was very worried about Pickles, so I took her into our avian vet. Turns out, an xray showed that Pickles somehow herniated her abdominal wall. Her liver and gizzard are basically "hanging out". [​IMG] She never acted in pain, but was still not eating,and her abdomen was quite swollen. Not to mention she was having almost neon green poop still. The doctor was really expecting to see something like a staple or nail that would of caused the tear. However, after an xray, nothing showed up. She did have a protozoan infection, which is very common in outdoor birds, since that can be found in puddles and such. She said that it is a possibility that the protozoan infection could of reeked havoc enough to cause this. It did baffle her though. She sent us home on some meds to hopefully get her appetite back and clear up the infection. She said that she has seen ducks have this and as long as their digestive track stays on track, they do ok. I was told that I should hopeflully see an improvment within 48 hours. However, it has been almost 48 hours and Pickles is still barely eating. I am going to see how she does over the next two days, and if she is not any better, call the vet on Mon. I'm afraid we will have to euthanize her if she is not improving.

4. TajMahalChickens

TajMahalChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    OK, so the abdominal wall is torn, and there is an infection? Wow! Poor thing!!

I am so sorry to hear this. Keep us updated.

5. sandracollins

sandracollins Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2010
    dublin ireland
    any news on your duck ?I have a call drake that was bitten on his chest by my dog , i took him to the vet who stitched him and gave him antibiotics ,the wound has healed well but he wont eat and his poo is mint green too.I have brought one of his ladies in with him for company but that didnt make any difference tried frozen peas and treats but will eat nothing.I put him out with the rest today (17 chickens and 5 call ducks) to see would he be happier with them but he just stands and still wont eat any ideas?

6. yomama

I know the vet said to just try to get my duck to eat anything she would. I tried everything...bread, oatmeal, hardboiled egg, softened dog food, canned cat food, rice, waffle, you name it. I always have the later crumble available for her too, though I don't think she is touching them much. I hope your duck improves. If it were me, I would probably bring him back in till I knew he was eating. Especially if it is cold where you are. That way, he isn't burning calories he can't afford to lose. Good luck.

In regard to Pickls, it's not good news, I'm afraid. It has been since Thursday that she has been on the meds, and really not much improvement. I've only been able to get her to eat a little Romain lettuce, a little applesauce and a few sunflower seeds, over the course of 6 days. In her case, the green poo is bile, being as how her liver is displaced. Now I am noticing green in her water bowl and saw some in her applesauce. Talked to the Dr last night and it sounds like Pickles is also regurgitating bile. It's so hard, because she doesn't act sick. With the dr's ok, I'm letting Pickles swim in the bathtub once a day, and she loves it. The dr said it probably feels good getting weight off of her abdomen wall. I hate this kind of stuff! Within the last couple of months, I've had to put down our kitty because of cancer, lost one hen to an unkown illness, lost one of my favorite hens, and my favorite and only rooster to a predator, who decided to leave the mangle bodies in the yard, have had another hen get a kidney infection, and just this weekend, my dog came down with some strange allergic reaction to something! My hen with the kidney infection is ok, and my dog is getting better, but man! It has not only been a very expensive past couple of months, - that we so could not afford -but an emotional roller coaster too! ( Sorry, thought I would throw myself a little pity party. I'm done now. [​IMG] ) Not that I could afford it, but the dr said that even surgery wouldn't be a good option, since the way ducks stand, they put alot of pressure on the abdomen wall. I am going to plan on having Pickles put down tomorrow. She's my only duck, and much of the chicken yard is catered to her, the pond, and all the ramps in and out of everything. I am definetly going to miss her tons.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I am so sorry to hear about Pickls, After reading all of your posts, you have done all you can for her, and the decision you've made as hard as it is is for her best interest. I too have ducks and they can sure be a big part of your life and heart. We'll all be thinking about you both tomorrow. Bless: [​IMG]

8. yomama

Thanks so much for your kind words. Just got done making the appt with the vet. I'm going to let her swim in the tub as much as she wants tonight. [​IMG]

9. sandracollins

sandracollins Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2010
    dublin ireland
    so sorry about pickles,i brought my duck back into the house and feed him about 8mls of growers pellets mashed with warm water using a syringe twice tonight because he still had not eaten anything,he is pooing mint green also but i am hoping that this is because he is not eating i never thought there might be something else wrong!!!!!!!

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    sandracollins have you posted on the duck thread that is farther down the page than emergency. You might get more help if your having a problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by