Pekin duck attacked (by chicken??)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Maebh, Dec 28, 2014.

1. Maebh

Maebh Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2014
    I keep a mixed flock of chickens and ducks (using the word flock loosely there were 4 birds total).

Something has killed one of my ducks and injured another. The coop is locked and secure but I don't understand how my chooks could have killed the duck. Though the injuries on the live one certainly could have been a chicken.

[​IMG]

It being over christmas the vet is not on and I can't afford the emergency fee.

I brought her in and cleaned her off but she is not honking, and seems to prefer sitting quietly by the fire. I have offered her grower pellets dry and softened and when neither worked I cooked an mashed a chicken egg but she hasn't eaten in 2 days now. She sits in a basket with her head held carefully to one side.

[​IMG]

She drinks a little water but very gingerly. Her (projectile) poop is a bright green very watery. And her eyes are foamey. She has some time out of basket when she explores a bit but she doesn't try to leave it during the day.[​IMG]

Do you think it likely she has an infection? Or is she just stressed and tired after attack.

If it was my chickens that is the end of my mixed flock and its not fair to keep her alone. Should I look at re-homing her?

2. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    I'm so sorry. I don't know if it could of been the chickens, but it does sound strange. What kind of injuries did your dead duck sustain? As for what you can do. Get some poultry vitamins ASAP. Nutri Drench can be given straight since she isn't drinking much or sav a chick can be put in her water. Have you tried her favorite treats? A warm soak in your tub should help her relax a bit too. Have you cleaned the wounds? Are the open or just scratches? I would clean them really well and get a good look at what you are dealing with. Hopefully she will perk up soon. It sounds more like shock to me but make sure you give her a good run down so see if you feel anything out of place. I don't know about her eyes either, I have no experience in that department. But has she been able to clean her face off in water?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
  3. Maebh

Maebh Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2014
    The dead duck looked like its throat had been just shredded. The wind pipe and spine were intact but the skin around it was just gone. I thought maybe the skin was ripped and she thrashed tearing it further? She hadn't been fed on from what I could see.

She has been offered greens but she just nibbles a bit doesn't seem to be able to take it in?

I brought her in and gave her a soak in our back sink (we don't have a bath) in warm water with vinegar and then I put her in the shower so I could massage out the dried blood on her head and neck.

She was not calm but unusually compliant I sniped away some of her feathers and it is 3 punctures close together on her head but I can't find anything else on her. I have cleaned the blood as much as I am able but I don't want to keep at the scabs. I don't want to reopen the wound but don't want to leave dirt under it?

She has a deep cup of water but she isn't sticking her head it I have run water over her head a few times to try and clear her eyes but she doesn't stick her head down in it and slosh water everywhere in usual duckie fashion just kind of gently dips her nib into it and tilts her head back.

I will go to co op tomorrow morning looking for the products you mentioned above (its 3AM here) Thank you!

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I would never have my ducks and chickens locked up in same house, I have some Large fowl hens that I have seen even go after my large Scovy drakes and the drakes run from them. I can't imagine if it was an outside predator that it would kill a large Pekin duck instead of going after your smaller chickens, Did the coop look like there had been alot of commotion going on? Like maybe the chickens were running around getting away from what ever it was and the ducks not being able to fly up and stuff were easier target? That's sad but chickens could possibly have done this, How long have the ducks and chickens been living together? Or maybe an outside pred like a mink they can get through an opening as small as 1" have a closer look around your coop maybe you've over looked something.
    As for the injured duck, sounds like shock, keep her warm but not overly. Offer her plenty of water with electrolytes/vitamins in it. and keep her in a quiet place. You can oput feed close by too so when she wants to she can eat.
    You can wash her wounds out with warm salty water. Maybe 2 Tab, to 1 cup of warm water. salt has a healing effect. aldso for her eyes just gently using a soft wash cloth wash them out with a water down salt warm water mix. 1Tab to 1 cup once she starts to feel better she'll begin to dunk her head and clean her eyes up. As far as finding her a new home, Unless you can get another duck and keep them in another run and house I would look for another home for her, she will be extremely lonely alone. But get her back to feeling good again with wounds healed then decide, Also look into rescues if you decide to give her up they maybe able to take her and find her a good home. Right now she needs love support and comfort.
    There is a spray also called Veterycin it's for wounds and infection, It's pricey but so worth it it's safe to spray into the eyes and is fantastic for open wounds.

Also you say it didn't look like the duck had eaten? how often do you feed your flock? At night a flock should have a full crop before going to bed.

5. Maebh

Maebh Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2014
    No I meant It didn't look like another animal had fed on its carcass. They get fed every morning with grower pellets , and also have their choice of vegetable peelings.

Thank you.

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Okay thanks for clarifying How is she doing today? forgot to mention ducks are amazing how they can recover from some horrendous attacks and wounds so don't give up on her.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/940378/very-injured-duck-in-need-of-help
    Read this

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  7. Maebh

Maebh Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2014
    Thought she was better but became suspicious of the smell coming from beneath the scab. It is all black and dead I had to pull it out and clean it now there is a gap of more than an inch between the margins of the skin. I do not see how that can close and the muscle beneath is open to the air. I am afraid I may have to cull?

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Not sure if you should give up so soon. I tell you they are amazing, sometimes the wound just heals up too soon, can you keep her clean and free of flies? [if you have any this time of year] but anyway why not just keep treating and keeping the wound clean and give her a chance. Unless you feel she has infection internally then an antibiotic would probably be necessary. Of course all of this is back to your decision and how much you want to do for your duck. I have a chicken hen in my bedroom right now so I can sympathize with you.

9. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I would be looking into a regular saline rinse followed with some manuka honey.

10. Maebh

Maebh Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2014
    I'd take her to the vet but am currently unemployed and as I live at home have to be sensitive to my parents sensibilities. For my dad no animal is worth more than its replacement value which is about 20 euro for a duck and a single vet visit without any meds tops that.

I am happy to keep her, and was thrilled with how well she seemed to be doing. But they aren't like dogs or people. I can't really tell if she is in pain even cleaning it the worst she did was squirm a bit. They don't vocalise. I am trying to balance probability of her surviving with pain she is feeling and floundering as I have no idea if this is survivable. My dad thinks for the ducks sake I should put it down but as I said he isn't particularly sentimental.

I have covered the open wound with iodine tincture and am keeping it clean. She is in the brooder under heat and she seems to enjoy a daily rummage in the garden.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by