PEKIN DUCK CAN'T STAND

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Duckstruck, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Duckstruck

Duckstruck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2016
    East Tennessee
    Just today, I went to the barn to check on everyone, and one of my female ducks just sat on the ground. I went over and tried to lift her off the ground and on her feet, and she could stand for a second, then sit briefly. I tried again multiple times and sometimes she would take a half-step, then sit again. I checked the pads of her feet, and they were clear of abrasions. She eats, drinks, and quacks fine. Here's some information on her...

SPECIES: Pekin
    EATS: Chicken scratch, daily treats (tomatoes, bread, minnows, grapes, exc.), and oyster shells
    EXTRA: Was limping a little but still got around fine, flock laying more eggs than usual

I have put her in a dog kennel where she'll have easy access to food and water. I am very concerned about her issue, since the last duck I had who couldn't walk was crippled beyond what vets could do due to a mean drake (who is gone now) and was sadly euthanized. Sometimes the ducks act sick one day (example: narrowed eyes, droopy wings, sluggish), then are fine the next.​

PLEASE RESPOND ASAP.

2. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Possibly egg bound...:(

Post on the Duck threads......:)

Cheers!

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Make sure that she can move her legs. Paralysis in the legs can be a sign of botulism in ducks, from eating a toxin produced in rottingfish or animal carcasses. You can check her for egg binding by inserting a finger into her vent and inch or two, where it should normally just feel soft. Put some poultry vitamins including niacin and riboflavin into her water, or crush a B Complex tablet into some food in case of a vitamin deficiency, which may be common in ducks or chickens. Here is where to also post on the duck forum:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/threads/add/forumId/42

[​IMG]

4. Duckstruck

Mar 12, 2016
    East Tennessee
    Thank you for responding! Here's a little update on how she's doing today...

She laid an egg this morning but still can't walk, so I don't think she's egg bound.. She can swim fine and I watched her foot movements through the water and they were normal.
    @Eggcessive , she and her flock aren't exposed to dead carcasses, since they are contained in a run. They eat live minnows I feed them and pick bugs off the ground, but that's all the living things they eat. I do let them outside sometimes when I'm there, but they graze together as a group, so they'd all have it... Does botulism effect a once-healthy duck overnight?

5. chickens really

Do you have a Drake?.....Possibly nerve damage?......Sorry this is happening...:(

Best wishes...

6. chickens really

Also Ticks can cause paralysis .....:(.....

7. Duckstruck

Mar 12, 2016
    East Tennessee
    Here's an update on her today...
    She laid another egg today and is eating and drinking her medicine fine (niacin and B complex). She can stand, but seems to choose to sit down...
    I've put their oyster shells in a separate dish for them to take from, including one for the sick duck. I've also mixed some into their food for extra supplement.

8. Duckstruck

Mar 12, 2016
    East Tennessee
    @chickens really , we HAD a drake, but he left a while back. She's been limping for a while, but not extremely. It escalated very quickly, because one day she was walking fine and the next she was immobile.

9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Botulism is common in wild ducks who swin in streams or lakes. It is probably not a problem with your duck since she doesn't get out. It progresses quickly within hours with leg paralysis moving to the wings and neck becoming limp. I would look more at a vitamin deficiency or injury until something else becomes more apparent. Let us know how she gets along.

10. Duckstruck

Mar 12, 2016
    East Tennessee

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by