PEKIN DUCK CAN'T STAND

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Duckstruck, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Duckstruck

Duckstruck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2016
    East Tennessee

Yesterday, I went to the barn to check on everyone, and one of my female ducks just sat on the ground. I went over and tried to lift her off the ground and on her feet, and she could stand for a second, then sit briefly. I tried again multiple times and sometimes she would take a half-step, then sit again. I checked the pads of her feet, and they were clear of abrasions. She eats, drinks, and quacks fine. Here's some information on her...

SPECIES: Pekin
    EATS: Chicken scratch, daily treats (tomatoes, bread, live minnows, grapes, exc.), and oyster shells
    EXTRA: Was limping a little but still got around fine, flock laying more eggs than usual

I have put her in a dog kennel where she'll have easy access to food and water. I am very concerned about her issue, since the last duck I had who couldn't walk was crippled beyond what vets could do due to a mean drake (who is gone now) and was sadly euthanized. Sometimes the ducks act sick one day (example: narrowed eyes, droopy wings, sluggish), then are fine the next. She laid an egg today, so she is not egg bound. We have a coop and run, so they aren't exposed to much of nature except when I let them out while I'm there.

PLEASE RESPOND ASAP.

2. Messica

Messica Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2016
    Minnesota
    What is your flock eating? Could it be a nutritional deficiency? Any chance of injury or does she just seem weak?

3. Messica

Messica Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2016
    Minnesota
    Derp, just saw what she was eating. Scrach definitely isn't balance enough diet wise. It's fine for a treat but isn't nutritionally complete. I'd put my money on it being caused by a deficiency unfortunately.

1 person likes this.
  4. Ashleymarie529

Ashleymarie529 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2017
    Katy (Houston), TX

Agreed. You need to get Flock feed.
    Dumor Has a feed for egg laying ducks/chickens/turkeys called Dumor Poultry.

1 person likes this.
  5. Ashleymarie529

Feb 17, 2017
    Katy (Houston), TX
    Wait she's 3? Okay hold on that Dumor stuff is for 10-18 weeks. I forgot she was 3. Maybe try Gamebird by Manna pro? Or Nutrena All flock is a good one.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  6. Duckstruck

Mar 12, 2016
    East Tennessee
    It would make sense... but what do they have a deficiency of? Would chicken layer pellets work?

7. Ashleymarie529

Feb 17, 2017
    Katy (Houston), TX
    Niacin and general nutrients

8. Ashleymarie529

Feb 17, 2017
    Katy (Houston), TX
    No chicken stuff isn't very good for ducks

9. Duckstruck

Mar 12, 2016
    East Tennessee
    I have a whole fresh bag of scratch for them in a bin. Should I get a mixed flock feed, then mix the remaining scratch with it to get rid of it?

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Most of us have to feed our ducks chicken feed which is fine for other poultry but It does sound like a nutrient problem An all flock or laying crumble or pellets would be fine but I would also until she is back on her feet give her a good balanced poultry vitamins in her water. Poultry Nutri Drench is a real good one.
    I have never even seen feed for water fowl in any feed stores around me.Other than All Flock.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by