1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pekin duck (Charlotte) found head under water, struggling and barely floating.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by justlkn, Nov 3, 2013.

1. justlkn

justlkn New Egg

Sep 15, 2013
    NE Florida
    Tonight I found one of our Pekins floundering in our lake with her head under water. I jumped out and grabbed her and put her on the shore. She grasp for air and just lied there seeming dazed. After a few minutes she seems responsive and normal and I allowed her to reenter the lake where she promptly started putting her head under water again. I pulled her out and she acted almost like she was in and out of consciousness. She would also try to stand and then extend her neck touching her toes and then just stand like that for a few minutes. I took a photo of her stance. I think this is what she was doing in the lake that was causing her to almost drown. I examined her physically but cannot see any issues. Her demeanor is abnormal as she should be trying to get away from us and reach the other ducks. She is in an emergency pen for now until I can figure out or if someone here may have some suggestions as to what could be the problem. She is 7 months old and lives in a very large lake with 4 others. The others appear normal in behavior and look.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    So sorry this happened to your duck. I'm hoping some duck people will respond when they see this.

3. justlkn

justlkn New Egg

Sep 15, 2013
    NE Florida
    Thank you Eggcessive. I hope so too.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by