Pekin Duck Ducklings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DuffyDuck, Oct 20, 2014.

1. DuffyDuck

DuffyDuck New Egg

Oct 20, 2014
    We are new to the "having ducklings" situation and I am always worried about them. Today one of our one week old ducklings kept being left behind because it doesn't seem to walk properly. Its legs are both on the side and it seems to be unable to hold its weight on them so just "paddleboats"(if that makes sense) along. I have taken it inside now, away from its Mum and Dad and its siblings, but it is rather lonely and only stops calling if we go in and talk to it. Should I leave it with its family or should I keep it with us?

2. Lizzy-Beth22

Lizzy-Beth22 New Egg

Oct 17, 2014
    Hey there!! Daffy! although I am a new duck mommy as well, it sounds as though your little dear my have splayed leg aka. Spraddle leg. it can happen when they are born and their legs are not strong enough to support their weight, (they may have been bo-legged which could also attribte)so their legs stretch all the way out and they do a cute split! what's not so cute is if there was damage done. it could also have been because he slipped on a wet surface. it is very important to make sure that when they're hatched they have a dry/ textured surface like a towel or potty pad, or wood shavings to keep in dry. I think it was brilliant and very smart for you to take the little guy inside! if he gets knocked over or when he sleeps he goes into straddle position it could make it worse! another possible reason for splayed legs if they were not showing signs of it shortly after hatch or if it is a newer development, ( and it is not from slipping on a surface and doing a straddle) I wonder if your ducky is a little piggy...lol! sometimes when the ducklings gain too much weight too fast, they're fragile and weak little legs have not developed enough to support their rapidly develping body weight. so now that he is safe inside make sure he has a towel or @ least a soft dry surface to walk on! some other good news is that because he is very young (& the duckies muscles are still developing) there are a few things you can do to fix the problem. 1St) it can take 7 to 30 days to correct the problem. and I would say the next couple days are crucial in his legs getting some extra support. but the duckling already being a week old is used to having it's siblings and Mama around so it is important for his sanity and probably yours for you to bring at least 1-2 friends in with him. (I do not know how many ducklings you have.. If I had 4 ducklings in this situation I would split them into 2 sets of 2! Bam,BFFs 4 EVER!! it will help him socially and mentally as well as it'll be easier for him to reintegrate. 2nd, you can google how to fix splayed legs, if you scroll through images on Google there is actually a step-by-step process on how to fix splayed legs with PipeCleaners, the same ones you can find at a local craft store. you basically make a little hand cuff to fit around his legs right above the ankle joint, every couple of days do you tighten the handcuffs (shorten distance legs are spread) a little more in a little more. although I make sure that the handcuffs are loose enough to where blood supply is fine. I have also seen several images where people actually use bandages, vet wrap or sports wrap! Check out:
    www.2ndchance.info/spraddle.com
    she has a whole bunch of information the causes of splayed leg and how to fix it! I hope this info helps please let me know how little one is!!

3. Lizzy-Beth22

Lizzy-Beth22 New Egg

Oct 17, 2014
    Hey Daffy! I am new to being a duck mom as well. because I am so new at all this I am just guessing on what the problem is and it's very common! it is called splayed legs, or spraddle legs. it can happen for a few reasons. 1.) shortly after they are born they can slip on a wet surface do a split and their muscles have not developed properly. 2.) after they hatched they were already bowlegged and the problem has continued to get worse because it could not walk properly. 3.) if the ducky is being a little piggy... and over eating and gaining too much weight too fast! his small and weak developing legs could not support his body weight & his legs are spreading.
    the good news is that this is treatable! more good news! because he is still very young his muscles (are not already fully developed) you can correct the problems so as he continues to develop his muscle, He can properly with extra support.
    I believe you can search for splayed legs on backyard chickens and will be able to find many people who have gone through the same thing! they will probably have figured out the best way to go ahead in fix the problem. Ive seen images of people using bandaids all the way to making cute little handcuffs out of pipe cleaner. you will basically make a handcuffs out of the pipe cleaner and attach below the ankle and above foot the foot itself. making sure it is not too tight, shorten the distance between the handcuffs every few days. it can take anywhere between 7 to 30 days to correct the problem. on another note real quick I think it is very smart of you to have brought the little duckling inside!! He could get knocked over and problem could get worse but with him already being a week old and being around his siblings and mom, he is going to be miserable and lonely. I do not know how many ducklings you have but I would definitely bring a friend in for him. it would help his morale, his anxiety, and it would make it easier to reintegrate him after a few days away from the gang! I am sure there is a forum on here about Splayed legs. you could also check Google out and they had a lot of information and different photos of different people making handcuffs for chicks and ducklings. I hope this information helps and the little guy gets better soon!!

4. WildThang

WildThang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2014
    Tennessee

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by