Pekin Duck Egg Dilemma

WolfShadow1

In the Brooder
9 Years
Nov 19, 2010
Ok, so I just started to relax about the "no egg" laying with my Sophie. Then, wham, one of the oddest eggs I have seen so far!! She didn't even nest with it either. Shot that bad boy out around the food dish! This thing was close to 3" in length, with white and yoke and a LOT OF WATER. The shell was consistent but see through and very very very soft. Any ideas on this anyone?
hmm.png

As a first egg its not too much to worry about. It can take a while for their bodies to get into a rhythm for laying. Its quite normal for a few without shells or misshapen ones to be laid in the first few weeks- but beyond that it could be a sign that something is not right.

I had 2 of these in the run the same day... 2 of my younger hens started laying at the same time but after the soft shelled egg and a couple small ones they've regulated to good, hard eggs!

My Pekin, Sophie, has been laying for about a year. All of a sudden she started acting too quiet and not joyful, as she usually is. After several days, she perked up but quit laying. That was around Nov 2, 2010. Since then, she has only laid that one egg...the one that was shelless, as you put it. She acts just fine now, but still no eggs. One of you suggested lack of sun, but she laid all winter last year. She also molted last year and was still laying. I just can't figure it out.

Back
Top Bottom