Pekin duck eggs... Are they ever fertile?

AmberCamilia

Songster
6 Years
Jan 5, 2017
Jackson County, KY
Hey all! I'm sure the answer I'm looking for is all over the forums, but it's so hard to find answers without getting sidetracked with all of the cute stories :)

Anyway, I have two Pekin ducklings, a boy and a girl (Jasper and Daisy). They are only two weeks old right now, but I am rather curious about the eggs my female will lay in the future. I've heard that Pekins aren't the best at "mothering," does this mean she will rarely lay fertile eggs? Or does this just mean she won't sit on them (I'm VERY inexperienced with ducks, chickens, or really just anything that lays an egg -- these ducks are actually my first birdies :) ) ? If Daisy does lay fertile eggs, should I incubate them myself, or is this unnecessary/harmful/etc.? I would like the pair to have a baby or two together since it's unbelievably adorable, but is this a realistic possibility?

Also, a little off-topic here, I'm a bit confused about feeding my ducks. Like I stated earlier, they are two weeks old. I am feeding them 18% protein non-medicated chick starter mash... is this alright? When should I change the feed to a lower protein option, and what type?

I'm sorry for so many questions, and I promise I really did do TONS of research prior to getting my little "tweeters" as I call them, but there is just so much information to discover!

Thanks in advance! :)

Pekins lay lots of eggs, usually, no worries there... they'll be fertile if he mates with her... Pekins aren't usually known for their broodiness, but it has been known to happen, you'll just have to wait to see if she wants to brood and follows through... you can certainly hatch some yourself, but she won't mother them if you do... you'll have to brood and raise them yourself just like you're doing with them and then introduce them slowly to the older ducks once they're big enough to take care of themselves and the older ducks accept them...

Feed sounds fine, but are you supplementing with extra Niacin? Regular chick feed usually doesn't contain enough for ducks since they have a Niacin deficiency... Brewers Yeast (NOT baking yeast) sprinkled on their feed is one way, crushing Niacin tablets to equal 150mg per gallon of water and dissolving it into their drinking water is another way... or if you have access to Purina Flock Raiser 20% protein, it contains enough Niacin for ducklings...

Last edited:
Thank you for the info!

I forgot to mention that I am adding brewer's yeast to their food. They were showing a few signs of leg problems and I became worried sick, but they're doing better now :)

Back
Top Bottom