Pekin Duck Feathers almost gone on Wing ? see photo?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by leanback, Aug 19, 2013.

1. leanback

leanback Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2012
    Indiana, USA
    Hi BYC,

Pekin Duck Feathers are almost all gone on Wing getting less all the time.?

see photo? Any advice or links my city lake duck friend she will even climb up my porch
    steps and quack Now trying to retrain me to go out my back door to side yard... [​IMG] by her swimming pool,
    only way we could keep her out of our goldfish pond.

[​IMG]

Thank you, A geese, ducks Wow all of you that raise and take care of,
    the patience and love you have is amazing.

[​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Could be molting. it is starting here and it's the time of year. could be diet too, a diet of white bread isn't very healthy and seems that's what a lot of park ducks live off of. So more protein from good feed with 20% or more and supplementing with dried mealworms She is a doll.

3. Blackberry Hill

Blackberry Hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2013
    USA
    Hi, Kim --- Beautiful Pekin! The bright orange feet denote a male whereas the female have duller orange feet. I agree he is probably molting.

You know that domestic ducks cannot fly even with normal wings? I worry about what will happen to him this winter. You seem pretty attached.... it's not too hard to set up a duck pen with a house. You can even buy a 12 x 12 feet chain link fence dog kennel with 6 feet tall sides that you just assemble and then net over to make it predator-proof. Add a nice wooden duck house about 4 x 4 feet square plus a wading pool. That would be great for two ducks. It would need to be under a shady tree.

Think it over. We could rescue the duck, too.

I LOVE that he comes up on your porch! And the duck is training you; that sounds familiar.

Take Care!

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Looks like the duck has pretty much already moved in so adding the kennel and house wouldn't involve much. Putting a bowl inside where the duck can see it a Welcome home. [​IMG]

5. leanback

leanback Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2012
    Indiana, USA
    Thank you all and Miss Lydia,

This is a Female pekin, I only feed bird seed only because I know it is better than bread.
    Her wing, I'm not sure what I can do for her.

She has lived on lake a couple years now and would feel not ok taking her away from
    she has two males that really are protectors and one does sometimes....lol

Would be great to build a duck house to care for many, have viewed some really awesome ones.
    If I lived on a farm or in country, I would love to.

If I knew something I could do help her other than capture her I would.

Is there a certain type of feed that would help, any suggestions I will.

I will search molting ?

Thank you all a bunch,
    Kim

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Feed with 20% protein in it will help with feathers. Game bird feed too is good for feathers and over all health. I'm sure the ducks are very happy to have some one close who cares about them. Pekins always look like they are smiling to me, such sweet faces.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by