1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pekin duck gender ?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chickmomma03, Jun 15, 2016.

1. chickmomma03

chickmomma03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2015
    North Carolina
    I have 2 pekin ducks. I bought them as day olds, and they're now 3mos 1wk old. Duckie, it's very obvious she's a female. Pekin, I'm pretty sure is a drake. Pekin is very loud all the time, and quacks very loudly. Pekin on the other hand is very quiet and has a low raspy sound. I've tried to get good video of it, and I've tried to see if I could find videos online to help, but I've not found much of anything.

When I try to get video of them they decide that it's time to be quiet. They stare at my phone (my only source for recording video) and they're silent.

Personality wise they're very different from each other. I've never been able to hold Duckie without her freaking out, scratching me, and making a lot of noise. Despite frequent handling.

Pekin on the other hand, I could probably hold Pekin for an hour or more with very little protest (only when I'm not holding in a preferred/secure way will Pekin make a little noise). Pekin is a little big larger and heavier, and always has been. Very laid back.

I've been trying for the last couple weeks to get a good sound clip of them, and I'm going to continue to try. Aside from the drake feather (which I'm reading mixed information on coming in later versus earlier), does anyone have a good sound clip of male versus female?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
  3. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    If it is raspy, it's a boy

4. chickmomma03

Aug 8, 2015
    North Carolina
    Yea, I've listened to that clip before. I'm thinking he's definitely a he. He doesn't have his drake feather though that I can tell. When can I expect it to come in properly?

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Might take five or six months.

6. chickmomma03

Aug 8, 2015
    North Carolina
    Thanks. I know the one is a female, she is loud ALL THE TIME, the one I keep questioning myself on is pretty quiet and laid back. I'm pretty sure he's a he, but I'll just have to wait it out to be 100%.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by