Pekin duck has overlapping feet /today discovered a lump on foot ( Picture)

Sadiew

Chirping
8 Years
May 15, 2011
Spain
Today I got a pair of Pekin ducks. I was really only wanting a male but since the little lady was his mate and she is older the seller did not want to seperate them so I agreed to have both which is fine, but since a friend picked them up for me I did not see them closely until I got them home, but the little female has a problem with her feet she is hen toed/over lapping feet and has difficulty walking, she does get around but trips over her feet esp as she is standing on one while she tries to walk, then falls forward such a shame, is there anyone else come across this and is there anything I can do to make life easier for her? She does love in pool. So far my other ducks are okay with her and dont seem to see her weakness I just want to help her if I can.

Last edited:

She let me have a good check over on her today and discovered this lump on heel part of her foot, anyone seen this before, it looks like it has been there a long time, it looks like big clump of dirt but can see pinky flesh in it and more like hard skin on outside. Can this be removed, feel so sorry for poor thing, she let me touch it okay so does not seem to be too painful.

She let me have a good check over on her today and discovered this lump on heel part of her foot, anyone seen this before, it looks like it has been there a long time, it looks like big clump of dirt but can see pinky flesh in it and more like hard skin on outside. Can this be removed, feel so sorry for poor thing, she let me touch it okay so does not seem to be too painful.

Could be bumble foot

best to search forum or google as many good picture tutorials on how to treat and identify it

Get some Epsom salt and warm water and soak it for a while and see if you can remove any of it. that is amazing but seems if it was bumble and that big that would be one sick duck since bumble is staff infection. use 1gal of water to 2 cups Epsom salt warm water and soak as long as you can. [don't let her drink the water though it has a laxative effect] No wonder she is walking strangely. poor baby

Get some Epsom salt and warm water and soak it for a while and see if you can remove any of it. that is amazing but seems if it was bumble and that big that would be one sick duck since bumble is staff infection. use 1gal of water to 2 cups Epsom salt warm water and soak as long as you can. [don't let her drink the water though it has a laxative effect] No wonder she is walking strangely. poor baby
Thank you I will get some epsom salts in morning and maybe pop her to vet and see if he knows anything, although he is not an avian vet but he did look at one of my chickens before (here policy is very much they eat them not treat them :) would like to help this little lady.

Could be bumble foot

best to search forum or google as many good picture tutorials on how to treat and identify it

Thank you I have googled and looks a bit like bumblefoot but no soft infection inside etc just hard solid lump and otherwise she is in good health, maybe a trip to vet but no avian vets here.

Back
Top Bottom