We need your amazing chicken photos for our 2020 Calendar! Submit your pics HERE!

Pekin duck hatch help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ZARduckhatch, Jul 18, 2019.

1. ZARduckhatch

ZARduckhatch Hatching

Jul 18, 2019
    Hi All I am hatching a few Pekin ducks and I am on day 28 and super stressed, well thats up until now I found info on this page about it taking 36 to 48 hours from pip to zip problem is I tried to help one its still in the membrane (I was being paranoid that it was drowning in the shell as my home made incubator does not have a hygrometer,) so that said what can I do for the chick I tried to help or is it probably going to die? Picture attached its still moving and I can see the beak moving under the membrane 20190718_184103.jpg

2. BullChick

BullChick Enslaved by a Duckling

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    As long as there is a hole in the membrane for it to breathe, that should be okay. Dampen a paper towel, and toss it over the egg to keep the membrane from drying out.

ZARduckhatch and Nathalie like this.
  3. Helloworld

Helloworld Songster

Jul 17, 2018
    Down on the Suwannee River
    If no blood you can help it but look at humidity on next hatch. Just break membrane and see what happens first. I see blood veins so if blood leave in shell and take a damp paper towel and cover the egg so it doesn’t shrink. You want to just make a small air hole with fingers and thats it. Some are stubborn and being it is a duck has a large egg yolk to absorb. Did you open? If so not good because they will quit and give up which is why I say give it an air hole and wait.

4. ZARduckhatch

ZARduckhatch Hatching

Jul 18, 2019
    I did in my ignorance do this to try help I feel aweful now... i will make a teeny hole for breathing and leave alone I have 4others that have pipped and gone quiet and 13 that have not pipped and I am scared to open the box now to check anything should I just sit on my hands and wait ? The pips are a tiny pyramid in the shell but the shell is still intact no missing bits

casportpony likes this.
  5. 2 many chickens

2 many chickens Songster

Jan 14, 2017
    Like others have said, open the membrane a bit and leave it alone. The veins still look like they have a lot of blood still. It's not ready. You may have to apply coconut oil to prevent it from dryING out overtime.

casportpony likes this.
  6. ZARduckhatch

ZARduckhatch Hatching

Jul 18, 2019
    I have made a tiny tweezer hole in the membrane how would i apply coconut oil? Warm it and apply with a ear bud ?

casportpony likes this.
  7. casportpony

casportpony Enlightened

Jun 24, 2012
  8. 2 many chickens

2 many chickens Songster

Jan 14, 2017
    Yes, just make sure you keep it away from the air hole.

9. ZARduckhatch

ZARduckhatch Hatching

Jul 18, 2019
    I have applied coconut oil the artical was very useful thank you xx

WVduckchick and casportpony like this.
  10. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds!

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Any update? :pop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: