Pekin Duck Health Declining

EmuEnthusiest

In the Brooder
Mar 14, 2017
My Duck, who is about five weeks old has been slowly been acting more and more strange. Now its neck will not stretch out all the way so it cannot clean itself. It also has problems walking, it trips and falls, he has no balance he can fall on his back and can't get up on his own. He also cannot swim anymore he just sits in the pond doing nothing. He has other troubles in flapping wings, his flaps are small and look awkward. My other pekin of the same age has no problem with these activities. He just keeps getting worse, what should I do?

Last edited:
My Duck, who is about five weeks old has been slowly been acting more and more strange. Now its neck will not stretch out all the way so it cannot clean itself. It also has problems walking, it trips and falls, he has no balance he can fall on his back and can't get up on his own. He also cannot swim anymore he just sits in the pond doing nothing. He has other troubles in flapping wings, his flaps are small and look awkward. My other pekin of the same age has no problem with these activities. He just keeps getting worse, what should I do?

I can only respond with most Americans with Pekin are having issues ..:(...Is it the supplier?......Are the Ducklings not strong?....

A thread should be started..:)

Are you giving them niacin in their food? Sounds like he or she may have some type of deficiency.

I have two American pekin ducklings in perfect health!
1f60a.png
1f60a.png

What feed are they eating?
And are you adding niacin?
Pekins are a very fast growing heavy breed. And leg problems are very common.
They need extra niacin added for proper development. It sounds like a nutritonal problem to me.

I can only respond with most Americans with Pekin are having issues ..:(...Is it the supplier?......Are the Ducklings not strong?....

A thread should be started..:)

It may seem that way... but most people come to a forum when troubles arise.
There are plenty healthy pekins you never hear about....
Its related to nutrition. They have been bred for fast growth for meat. Thats where the problem comes from. And the unlimited amount of feed stores who dont give the correct information.

My pekin is doing better I gave it some vinegar and water. The next day he was doing a little better and now he is almost keeping up w/ the other ducks. But he sell has a problem w/ preening he is still very dirt. Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom