pekin duck laying eggs!!! though there's an egg stealer!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ro.netcmarie, Mar 6, 2009.

1. ro.netcmarie

ro.netcmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2008
    travelers rest, sc
    ok so she has been making her nest under our brush pile that we was going to burn this weekend, perfect timing on her part!!!! well she laid an egg yesterday n she got it all muddy, but she wasn't sitting on it, so i go out this morning and there was a clean white egg, but no muddy egg. so i started searchin the yar and there it was behind this big pile of brush with a tooth hole in it.
    so i was wondering what to do? should i leave it n take a chance it getting stolen too, or collect them and put them n a carton to store them until i have enough to put in the bator??? any suggestions ???? i have a homemade incubator, but went n bought a hovabator1602n the other day and it still in the box. should i go ahead and set it up???? [​IMG]

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I would set up the incubator. Do you have rats in your area?

3. ro.netcmarie

Oct 7, 2008
    travelers rest, sc
    i had this problem last year, she had a total of 6 eggs and they disappered n i didnt even get a ducky out of that batch. it is happening at night so there might be just nightime animals getting her eggs. we have mice, but not those big field rats. ohhhh by the way wat is the proper way to store the eggs in a carton so i can collect all the eggs????? i know something about having to lean them or something like that. have never done this before with the carton storage!!!!

4. emandmikey

emandmikey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    Wake Forest, NC
    For storing the eggs you want to hatch, I'm pretty sure you should put them in a carton, fat side up, and anywhere from 50-65 degrees or so, up to 10 days.

5. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Exactly

6. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

don't forget to elevate one side of the carton and rotate tilting it like turning but not in the incubator yet, that keeps the contents from sticking to the side of the egg

Grab em up and save them!!!

7. ro.netcmarie

Oct 7, 2008
    travelers rest, sc
    ok so, between the night animals and my boxer/lab dog getting the eggs, i was going down to get the new egg this morning and guess what the dog dunn got the egg!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] boy did she get an ear full this morning, so i decided to go ahead and set the other bator up while i start collecting her eggs, hopefully before the dog does!!!!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by