Pekin duck male/female personality differences?

IRL

Songster
9 Years
Apr 12, 2010
I will most likely be getting two pekin ducks next month. My question is whether I should get 2 males or 2 females. I don't want ducklings so I'm planning on getting 2 of 1 gender. Are there any personality differences between males and females? I've heard that the females are quite a bit louder than males. I don't really care about eggs. Any info on the right choice for pets would be appreciated. Thanks!

from my small experience(same 2 pekins, male/female for 7+ yrs) the male quacks quietly alot and the female is more inspired to honk quack when wanting food,out of enclosure(as is the routine) but generally quiet. I just acquired 2 adult MALE pekins(knew they were male but....) all heck has broken loose. the 2 males raised together get along peacefully but they want to attack my existing male as he does them. point being-any 2 raised together of whatever sex should be fine. btw-if you would like 2 adult male pekins and live within 300 miles of central ohio I will bring them to you!!!!!

There isn't actually any difference in their personalitys,.. in my experience with them I would say YES the females are VERY loud, and quack a lot. The males quack, but of course have the lower monotone quack and I don't think they quack as much. This would be the only issue I could see between them,..quiet verses LOUD. The 2 drakes will be quite allright with each other if there is no females,..and two females would be quite allright together, but they would lay eggs. So either quiet with no eggs or loud with eggs,...that is your choice,..if it were me I would go with 2 drakes. Reason being mine come to my bedroom window every morning quacking like the big bad wolf is after them,..and I mean before daylight
th.gif
,...and yes it is the girls saying,..."feed us!". Gotta love them though,....
big_smile.png

My experience is limited to one adult male Pekin, but I will tell you what, the males quack may be quieter, but he is LOUD and obnoxious and when he gets to quacking I'd like to never shut him up. Maybe I just got a loud one? lol

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom