Pekin duck mating

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Kevomxracer, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Kevomxracer

Kevomxracer Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2012
    CT
    I have 2 pekin ducks. 1 male 1 female and when they get in the water together. The male I named Aflac tries to mate with my girl and that lasts for about 15 seconds and she hops out if the water. And starts running around the yard. Is she going to lay fertile eggs from him .? Will she start to be ok with Aflac mating with her.? And would she sit on her eggs when she gets a good clutch of them?

2. RingedTeal

RingedTeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Georgiana,Alabama
    Pekin ducks don't really set they have but it's a rare thing.

3. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    She should get okay with him. They have to both learn what to do. She will lay fertile eggs. As stated, Pekin aren't known for going broody but she may.

4. chicks4fun

chicks4fun Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Frederick County MD
    I have heard that Pekins rarely go broody but mine is for a second time now. The first time she hatched only 1 of the 5 eggs. This time I tried to just take her eggs away as I didn't want ducks/chicks in the middle of the winter.
    I took 3 of her eggs & had them in my kitchen. Then I decided to give them to my broody hen and two hatched this week. The reason I gave them to the hen is everyone told me she, the duck, most likely won't stay on her eggs.
    After I took her eggs she kept staying longer and longer on her nest. Now I had her sitting on an empty next and determined to stay. So I got some eggs from someone else. I will find out later this week if she has really sat on them properly enough to hatch.
    Now her ducklings are with a hen and she is sitting on eggs from Khaki & Welsh ducks.
    I've got them all mixed up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by