Pekin duck mystery..terrielacy I need your help ;)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by perfectly_polish, Jun 15, 2008.

1. perfectly_polish

perfectly_polish Overrun With Chickens

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    I have a pekin duck, that I hatched, that will be 2 years old in November. This duck has a major silkie fetish! I'm not sure if he is trying to mate with them, or is attacking them, he does it to the males too. When he hatched, his other hatch mate had died, so he was the only duck, so he was raised with silkies that had hatched a week before. Since then he only hangs out with silkies. I put him in a pen with 13 other ducks for about 4 months, and everything went okay, they got along great but when I let them out to free range as soon as he saw "his" silkies he went right over to them. And i'm not even sure if it is a male or female! I've never gotten an egg out of him, but he doesn't have a curled tail, and he doesn't mate with any of the female ducks, and he's scared of the water! So I have a duck that I don't know the sex of, has a silkie fetish and is scared of water. Any ideas [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2008
  2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Poor confused duck! He thinks he is a silkie. He imprinted on them.
    The only thing you can do to break that is to be tough about keeping him separated and with the rest of the ducks. It will take time, but eventually he will learn he is a duck, not a silkie.

I have an imprinted khaki campbell who thought he was a human and didn't k now what the girl ducks were for. HE would just pick on them and never mate them. However, he knew what a shoe was for. Luckily no one ever say me shaking an amorous drake off my shoe. [​IMG]

After several months, he now knows what a duck is for, thank goodness, and my shoe can go outside unmolested.

3. perfectly_polish

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    Any idea on why he doesn't have curled feathers on his tail if he's a male? And he quacks pretty loud too [​IMG]

4. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    If the quack is loud, then you probably have a girl there. [​IMG]

5. perfectly_polish

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    See that's the weird thing, if it is a girl, she's almost 2 and I've never gotten an egg out of her, and none of the males ducks have tried to mate with her, but he/she tries to mate with the silkies. Maybe it's gender confused too..

Last edited: Jun 16, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by