PEKIN DUCK PLEASE HELP

sandloaf

Chirping
Oct 3, 2019
Sarasota, Florida
Im so worried about my baby please help

Original Post:
Hi! Im worried about my pekin duck shes usually very very active and running around but shes been sitting in one spot all day.

I made an article previously to this one about how she may be nesting but now shes sitting with her mouth open and bobbing her head. She walks very slow and wobbly (simlar tp how ducks normally wall but in slo mo) Shes talking to me weakly. her poop isn’t even watery like usual...
Please look at the attached files im really worried about her.

I wish i could attach videos of her bobbing her head. Its similar to a toddler trying to fight off sleep.

She is still eating peas (a treat) and drinking water with her chicken Bff.

LINK OF HER WALKING
https://youtube.com/shorts/JScsJdFx1cA?feature=share

Update:

She is no longer drinking or eating. Her poop looks similar to chicken poop. I felt her vent/belly its soft. pleas ehlep

Update:

We put calcium supplements in a bowl with lettuce and water to see if she would eat but she just stuck her head in and sat next to it.. what does this mean??

If you can get her in a tub of water and let her soak just incase she’s eggbound, it will help her loosen up. Sometimes when ducks get eggboundthey can become temporarily partially or completly paralyzed in the legs because the egg presses against their nerve. You might try giving her some cooked egg to perk her up.

Unfortunately though her symptoms are very vague, it could be anything from something mild that will resolve itself on its own tosomwthing severe that only a vet can diagnose. Hopefully she’ll be fine after some rest.

If you can get her in a tub of water and let her soak just incase she’s eggbound, it will help her loosen up. Sometimes when ducks get eggboundthey can become temporarily partially or completly paralyzed in the legs because the egg presses against their nerve. You might try giving her some cooked egg to perk her up.

Unfortunately though her symptoms are very vague, it could be anything from something mild that will resolve itself on its own tosomwthing severe that only a vet can diagnose. Hopefully she’ll be fine after some rest.
Do you have any advice on how to soak her? its an hour till sunset here. I can grab her but id like to do it in the most non stressful way.

Update: So yesterday we thought was our babies last day. She was acting dead, her neck was limp, eyes closed, and unresponsive. She would have sudden bursts where she would stand up and act completely fine only to collapse and act dead again.
Last night we brought her in and she was limp. We took the risk and gave her water through a syringe and she started to perk up. We gave her water with electrolytes and a soupy food.
Today, she is doing this
any ideas on what it is we have determined its not an egg bound case anymore. Thank you for reading @Goosebaby

Im currently in Okinawa Japan and my mother is home with the duck so detailed detailed instructions would be ideal if any! Thanks again :)

It looks like it could be botulism poisoning?

If it is, it’s encouraging that she’s made it this long. Just keep her inside and make sure she’s drinking plenty of water.
And if it’s not, I think it’s still a great sign that she’s hanging on and moving more today than yesterday.

Could your duck have gotten into any stagnant water? Moldy food? Are there any toxic plants she has access to?

I hope she continues to improve!

Oh and this shouldn’t be an issue since it looks like she can rest her head on the lip of the bowl, and I’m sure your mom has thought of this, but keep a close eye on her with her neck being so limp and the water bowl right in front of her.

Like @alhln said it could be botulism, maybe a mild case, but “mild” doesn’t mean less serious, just slower acting. If you can get activated charcoal capsules I would give her one in the morning and again in the evening to try and absorb any of the toxin in her digestive tract, you can also give B vitamin complex to help protect the organs.
Botulism is usually treated with antibiotics to kill the bacteria, an antidote to the toxins they release, and activated charcoal and detoxes to flush it from the body, the antidote isn’t always easy to come by though.

There are other possibilities though, lead or zinc toxicity causes neurological symptoms, those aren’t easy or cheap to fix and do require a vet though.

Bacterial infection is a big concern, Ciprofloxacine, Amoxicillin, Cephelexin can treat a number of possibilities, you can buy them as fish antibiotics though they’re no different than human or vet antibiotics.

The final possibility is viral, if it’s viral all you can do is keep her quarantined and comfortable and give her body all it needs to try to pass the virus on it’s own.

I’m not a vet so all I can do is speculate, a vet visit would be better to get to the root of what’s going on, but if that isn’t possible I more than understand, I’m in a tough spot myself as it is.

Back
Top Bottom