1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

pekin duck question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Keene's coop, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Keene's coop

Keene's coop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    neenah, wisconsin
    what do you feed your ducks? everything i keep reading says natural foods they find themselves. well i live in the city and can't let them forage, yet. i am expanding my chicken run to add a pekin in with the chickens. can i buy duck food at TSC?

any other information on pekins would be wonderful. i'm reading up on them before i purchase. i want to know as much about them as possible so there are no surprises later and have to end up getting rid of them.

2. Eroc1_1

Eroc1_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2011
    Yes. It is called Dumor non-medicated Starter 20% (for the first 2-8 weeks), Dumor grower/finisher 16% (for weeks 8-egg laying) those are the label directions

OR

Purina Flockraiser for the first 16 weeks - per the label directions

Those are the products we are using anyway.

3. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Yep...I would buy a smal bag of the Dumor Starter 20% then once that bag is finished jump up to the Finisher/Grower. The bag is going to last you a while with 1 duck so once its finished change feeds

4. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Just want to add, if you use pellets up slowly, watch them closely for mold. In this humidity of the summer, they can get moldy if they are not used up quickly. I had that happen with horse grain once.

5. Keene's coop

Feb 8, 2010
    neenah, wisconsin
    thanks

6. Keene's coop

Feb 8, 2010
    neenah, wisconsin
    is that chicken feed?

7. Eroc1_1

Jan 12, 2011
    Keene's coop :

is that chicken feed?

Yes, kinda, it can be used for BOTH chickens and ducks. You may have to add a vitamin supplement to the ducks water in order for them to get sufficient Niacin.​

8. Keene's coop

Feb 8, 2010
    neenah, wisconsin
    what is niacin? and is that gonna hurt my chickens? my chickens and duck are gonna be housed together

9. Eroc1_1

Jan 12, 2011
    Niacin is a vitamin that is used to prevent possible leg issues in waterfowl. I don't know if it will hurt your chickens...I am inclined to say no...but I don't have chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by