pekin duck question...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by shadust1, Aug 18, 2011.

1. shadust1

shadust1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    loretto, pa
    so for a couple days now...my pekin duck has been making nests n laying a couple of eggs....then a couple days later she disgards the eggs...makes another nest and starts over....but now....when we go into the greenhouse to pick up the dishes to give fresh water n food....the male duck literally chases us out...lol....to the point that its scary....so do u think that she has some eggs in the nest and that is why they r being protective....so i havent gotten close enough to the nest to check on things...do u think i need to investigate or just leave things be....from the door it looks like the nest is empty but there is hay covering it...do u think she covered her eggs with hay?? they r both just acting really wierd for some reason...lol....i dont wanna go out some day to 10 babies...that would be really cute though....

2. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    She is probublly going broody, and the male is being her body guard. If you dont want her to hatch then kick her out and collect the eggs, if you are afraid of the drake go in with a stick a fend him off.

3. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    He could be protecting her and the nest or he could just be in serious need of an attitude adjustment. Pekins aren't known for being broody but there are certainly exceptions to every rule. Lots of ducks bury their eggs so the nest may look empty but in fact have eggs in it.

4. Speceider

Speceider Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Drakes only, VERY rarely would protect a nest. Usually, it's more a case of the nest being near his loafing site, or the female on the nest.

Clint

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  5. shadust1

Apr 19, 2011
    loretto, pa
    thanks guys....so do u think i should go in and look to see if there r eggs in the nest??? im not opposed to babies...i really would like to see if she does hatch some...since pekins arent good as mothers... im definetely not afraid of him...i think he is comical...i sprayed him with the hose this morning and he ran and jumped into the pool..lol...ill just slap his beak...tell him no...lol...when i went in the other morning to let them out she was sitting on her nest....

6. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Slapping his bill will only make it worse. Trust me, I've done it. Your best bet is to "mount him." One hand on his back and one on the back of his head/neck and push him to the ground gently but firmly. You need to establish yourself as top drake. I did it to each of my two baby drakes twice. It worked wonders. They don't mess with me now.

7. shadust1

Apr 19, 2011
    loretto, pa
    cool...ill try that..thanks!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by