Pekin Duck Questions

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by louwillie, Jun 29, 2011.

1. louwillie

louwillie New Egg

Jun 29, 2011
    I plan on getting two Pekin ducklings soon and I can't seem to find very much information about them online, so I have some questions:

1. How long do they live for?
    2. How do I lower the temps by 5 degrees? How long does that last?
    3. Can ducklings easily become attached to humans?
    4. How do I simulate feeding, swimming, etc.?
    5. Is it possible to use a large Rubbermaid tub for the ducklings?
    6. When can they start living outdoors?
    7. What's the cheapest way for housing outdoors?
    8. Can they swim in a SALTWATER pool?
    9. How can I introduce them to my dog?

Thanks! [​IMG]

2. Chiko

Chiko Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Orem, Utah.
    1. How long do they live for? Pekins can live for up to 15+ years with proper care.

2. How do I lower the temps by 5 degrees? How long does that last? Do this by raising the heat lamp a few inches each week and cheking the temperature with a thermometer.

3. Can ducklings easily become attached to humans? Oh of course they can just like any other baby animal. With constant holding, care, and show of affection not harm they will get to know you and realize you aren't going to eat them. My passed pekin duck Toto grew up to be the greatest and sweetest pet. I always held her, she ate from my dinner plate and sometimes slept wrapped in a towl on my dresser next to my bed. When she grew up she would come running when she heard her name, she would jump on my lap when I was sitting in the pen watching them and when I went outside to read a book she would climb out of the pen and come cuddle with me. So yes they can become easily tame with lots of care and affection,

4. How do I simulate feeding, swimming, etc.? Just like you would with baby chicks. For feeding place some feed on a paper towel in the brooder where they can see it and discover it is food
    for swimming, I always start my ducklings in just a few inches of water. They should start to dabble and run around in it if they do add more water, if they don't they are scared and you should take them out let them dry and try it again later.

5. Is it possible to use a large Rubbermaid tub for the ducklings?As a brooder that would work great. Just make sure you have at least 2 inches of PINE shavings on the bottom and keep it dry and of course heated with a proper heat lamp.

6. When can they start living outdoors?Keep ducklings inside for the first four to five weeks. If the weather is warm, they can move outside when they are two to three weeks old.

7. What's the cheapest way for housing outdoors? An old doghouse or kitty litter box with a roof and lined with hay should house 2 ducks nicely [​IMG]

8. Can they swim in a SALTWATER pool?I'm not so sure about this. It might not be to safe for them to drink from. I personally would not do this. Just cold water from the hose is good.

9. How can I introduce them to my dog?I'd introduce them slowly. Show the ducks to your dog when they are in an enclosed pen and the dog cannot reach them. If he tries to get at them take him out and try again later. That's the best I can give you on that sorry I don't own dogs but I have heard this method has worked smoothly for others.

Well I hope I could help!!! If you need more help just Email me. or PM me or just ask here lol! Oh and by the way, [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2011
  3. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    The only things I have to add to all the great info already added is: you can also use a lamp dimmer (home depot $10) on your heat lamp to lower the temp and pine pellets (equine fresh from tsc) work really well for litter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by