Pekin Duck(s) Eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DuckDuckGuinea, Nov 15, 2009.

1. DuckDuckGuinea

DuckDuckGuinea University of North Quackalina

Aug 23, 2009
    NC
    Bought six Pekin ducks in July. The flock adopted a guinea that was the sole survivor of a racoon attack. 2 male + 4 female + uknown sex guinea (imprinted duck).
    Found one duck egg in their house about two weeks ago. I removed this egg. Friday I noticed three eggs in corner of duck house. Today realized there is a total of 8 eggs.
    Appears that the females are taking turns sitting on the eggs.
    Need advice, I thought that I still had time to seperate male/female if what I researched had been true that they will lay in Feb. I an unable to provide for 8 additional ducklings at this time. The ducks currently have about 425 square feet full enclousure with house and pool. My husband wants to throw the eggs in the woods. Sounds awlful.
    Please advise...
    First time duck obssessed owner

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  2. Willowbrook

Willowbrook Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2008
    western PA
    I'm not really sure what advice you are looking for, but I would say that this is a personal decision that only you can really make.
    Firstly, you aren't sure that the eggs are even fertile unless you have candled them and have seen development.
    If you truly cannot provide for them then removing the eggs is one option and then be diligent about collecting future eggs as they are laid so that the eggs do not develop.
    You could also allow the ducks to sit and hatch these eggs and immediately find someone that can provide a home for them.
    From my own personal experience I know to search for duck eggs as my ducks will start to lay eggs in the straw and will cover them and if you didn't know they were there, you would miss them. Then when they have what they feel is enough to sit, incubation begins.
    Good luck with whatever you decide.

3. DuckDuckGuinea

DuckDuckGuinea University of North Quackalina

Aug 23, 2009
    NC
    Thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by