Pekin Duck Sitting on Her Eggs!?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 5Chances, Apr 13, 2017.

1. 5Chances

5Chances Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2013
    I'm in need of some veteran egg hatchers advice. None of my chickens will sit on their eggs but my duck just started so I have questions... So, my Ethel is a Pekin & is about a year old now. Her "husband" is a Pekin also. But only about 5 months old. She has never been interested in her eggs until the last couple of weeks. She has made a nest & laid several eggs. She even covers them when she gets off. My questions are:
    1) How many hours a day should she be sitting if she's got any chance to hatch any? She gets up and wanders around the yard for a while and then goes back to her pen to sit for a bit. On & off all day so I don't know if she's serious OR doing it right!!
    2) are pekins good mothers?? I have ready many people say they are not broody at all so her recent behavior is surprising to me.
    I'm going to YouTube some candling videos to see if they are even fertilized but if anyone can give me good solid info or links to such it would be greatly appreciated. I love my ducks and if there's a chance she can hatch her babies I will let her give it a try. Thanks in advance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by