pekin duck,swollen leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by birdnutz, Jan 21, 2009.

1. birdnutz

birdnutz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    wyoming
    I just brought home a male pekin duck,he has a swollen hock joint and it extends down his leg. The foot is folded up and he doesn't use it. He walks on the first joint. I was told that he hatched out this way. Plus all his siblings except 1 also were hatched with this. Could it be a niacin problem? It does seem to be sore to the touch. I probably cant fix it. But was hoping for some ideas to maybe make it less painful for him. Maybe take down the swelling a little??

2. cherndon712

cherndon712 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    WY
    Whisper seems to do fine on his foot. I was told by a vet that he was too old to fix it, and to just keep him comfortable. He was inside until the day you brought all the birds over, since I had to make room for the banty ducks. If you want, I can take him back. He can go back in the lean to, where I can keep a good eye on him. Cara and I both don't want him to be put on the table!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  3. birdnutz

birdnutz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    wyoming
    Whisper isn't table bound. He will be a pet here until he passes. I was just hoping someone might have some ideas to help make it easier for him.

4. cherndon712

cherndon712 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    WY
    Hope he keeps loving the baths!! I know he's in good hands, just wanted to make sure!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by