Pekin duck that cannot retract his penis

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by WaddleWaddle, Sep 1, 2014.

1. WaddleWaddle

WaddleWaddle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2013
    Culpeper, VA
    I have a Pekin drake under a year old. I noticed the other day that he was walking around without his penis retracted. I didn't think much of it because he has been servicing the girls. Yesterday I noticed that again it was hanging out only it is now black in color. There is about an inch-inch and a half hanging out. I checked him a couple times yesterday and it appears he cannot retract it. I am really hoping that the tissue is not dying since it is black. Has anyone ever had this happen or know what I can do for the little guy?

2. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    It happens sometimes. You're gonna need to give him some help. However considering it's already turned black, I think you need to take him to the vet ASAP!!!

3. DaveOmak

DaveOmak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2013
    Omak, Washington
    My Coop
    It could be broken.... that can happen to other animals.... have a vet check him out...

4. jtn42248

jtn42248 Overrun With Chickens

For what it is worth...the following quote...

"A drake’s penis substantially wastes away at the end of one breeding season and then regrows as the next season begins. Among lesser scaup and ruddy ducks, the regrowth varies in length or timing depending on whether males have to compete with a bunch of other guys, said Patricia Brennan of Yale University."

But, I would take him to a good avian vet as soon as possible just to be sure.

5. DaveOmak

DaveOmak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2013
    Omak, Washington
    My Coop
    One more thing I learned here..... Go figure.... Thanks for the great info....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by