Pekin duck unable to walk.

Ederle

Songster
Jun 22, 2017
I have a 6 month old pekin, Edison, who seems to be unable to walk. He's been trying (and failing) to move around by flapping his wings. He doesn't have injuries on his legs/feet, and his legs are not broken- he still kicks me when I pick him up. He just can't seem to walk. What do I do?

P.s I should add that he's always been the weakest out of all of my ducks, and is never as active as them. When his siblings walk across the yard to play, he stays behind. Could he have some sort of defect?

I have a 6 month old pekin, Edison, who seems to be unable to walk. He's been trying (and failing) to move around by flapping his wings. He doesn't have injuries on his legs/feet, and his legs are not broken- he still kicks me when I pick him up. He just can't seem to walk. What do I do?

P.s I should add that he's always been the weakest out of all of my ducks, and is never as active as them. When his siblings walk across the yard to play, he stays behind. Could he have some sort of defect?
this seems to be somewhat of leg defect that i have had with ducks, and chickens but i have had it when they first hatch i have made them braces with hair tie and a straw but i really have no idea what to do if there old and weigh a lot more good luck

Possibly. When he stands are his legs straight? can you post a pic of him so we can see his legs? and when they were young ducklings did you supplement any niacin to the feeding? What have you been raising them on?
I'll try to get pictures in a little while. When he stands up his legs seem to be straight, but when he tries to walk they just...crumple. That's the best way to describe it. He's still eating and drinking and doesn't seem lethargic at all.

I did give him brewer's yeast every once in a while when he was younger, maybe about once a week. He's been eating Flock Raiser (usually Purina brand, but we recently switched to Nutrina).

Thank you for responding.

Purina Flock Raiser has the right amount niacin for most water fowl but some just seem too need more . How long has he been like this and is a vet feasible?

He's been weaker than the others from the start...He can't walk long distances without constantly sitting down to rest, and he'll only swim for maybe two minutes before getting out of the pond and falling asleep. The other ducks will swim for 15 minutes at least. Then this afternoon it suddenly got worse, and he wouldn't/couldn't stand up at all. That was about four or five hours ago, and he seemed fine today up until then.

I'm not sure if I could get him to a vet or not...Can I wait a few days and see if he gets better, or do you think his condition is urgent enough to require immediate veterinary care?

P.S. I would get a picture, but it's pouring rain right now and I don't have any waterproof cameras to take outside :p I'll have to try tomorrow, though.

Of course wait unless you see a drastic change for the worse. Can you keep him in a small set up so he rests and maybe put one of your calmer ducks in with him for company. This could be from not getting enough niacin in his diet from newly hatch. What have you been feeding your ducks. Duckling feed has rec amount and does all flock feeds one being the Purina brand.

Of course wait unless you see a drastic change for the worse. Can you keep him in a small set up so he rests and maybe put one of your calmer ducks in with him for company. This could be from not getting enough niacin in his diet from newly hatch. What have you been feeding your ducks. Duckling feed has rec amount and does all flock feeds one being the Purina brand.
I put him in a separate cage with two other ducks, and gave him some electrolyte/probiotic supplements and food mixed with brewer's yeast. Then I put him in the coop for nighttime like I usually do. None of the hens would dare to pick on Edison. He's twice as big as they are, and he has his brother, Lester, to protect him.

I fed my ducks non-medicated chick starter up until eight weeks old, and then switched to Purina Flock Raiser pellets: https://www.amazon.com/Purina-Animal-Nutrition-Raiser-Pellets/dp/B01MDSNHVI Then, fairly recently, I switched to Nutrena Naturwise All Flock pellets:naturewise-all-flock-feed. They also eats treats such as grapes, melon, and fresh vegetable scraps.

Sounds like a good diet although chick starter doesn’t have the niacin our duckling need right off and most of us don’t know this. But Purina flock raiser does so if you ever get ducklings again just start them off on PFR crumbles right off. I am not sure if Naturewise has right amt . I’d def keep him up and let him rest as much as possible . Is Edison a jumbo Penkin or reg. Pekins are notorious for leg problems since the were produced as table bird ready for processing at an early age they grow out so darn fast their little legs pay the price.That doesn’t mean he can’t be helped though so I suggest you do all you can and hopefully he’ll be back up and with his girls in no time. Pekins are such sweet ducks no wonder we fall in love with them and make them pets!please keep us updated on how he is progressing. Also getting some pool therapy would be good as long as he can be helped in an out that will help get his leg muscles stronger.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom