Pekin Duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Maggie3, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Maggie3

Maggie3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Central Michigan
    Someone please talk me out of getting a free pair that was offered to me. I was sent pictures of them and they are adorable.

2. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    How old are they? I love mine now that they're (2 males) a few months old. My female is over a year and lays us a big white egg every morning. They are a hoot to watch when they play in their kiddie pool. As long as you can have them outside they're not too bad.

C

3. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:[​IMG] you've certainly come to the wrong place!

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Ummm .. no .. can't do it. I have 19 ducks. You need at least 2. [​IMG]

5. MaineChickens

MaineChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2008
    Yes, ducks are adorable. But they are another care commitment. They are generally easy to care for, but thier poops are very messy and their bedding must be changed regularly. They also go through a lot more water than chickens so if you do not have a pond, this can be a concern.

They can live for a long time. Chances are if they are being offered for free, they aren't all that tame- which means they aren't going to want to be near you.

Unless you really just enjoy watching ducks be ducks- they probably aren't the ideal pet. Or if you really like duck eggs...

6. Paegglvr

Paegglvr Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2008
    Maybe I could take some photos of duck poop for ya?

I find they require a little more attention than the chickens. I have a three gallon watering can in my run with two ducks... sometimes they will drain that thing in a half day (mostly by playing in the water). And they eat a lot... so you alway need to keep an eye on the food and water.... more so than chickens. They quack a lot too... but for me that's a plus. I like to hear it when I'm working around the house.

I don't especially care about eggs that much, I have more than enough chickens. I just bought a couple ducks because they're cute. They live with my chickens and get along just fine. But you really need to like ducks... they're a unique pet!

7. menageriemama

menageriemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    I just love our ducks! We are new to keeping them, but they are hilarious. I love to watch them swim in their pool, and my kids have a blast catching bugs to feed them. I say go for it!

8. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

If you're getting two males don't accept them. Mine have gotten very aggressive towards my chickens. They have been attacking and stalking. It isn't like there is a lack of space since my yard is 100 acres.

The ducks are probably going to end up with the meat birds tomorrow.

9. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    If your drakes are 'attacking' and 'stalking' they are most likely looking for a mate. They will brutally mate the hens in their breeding frenzy. I don't know if it is a good idea to put them with meat chickens either. Meat chickens tend to be more docile and might not be able to fight back if/when the drakes approach and protect themselves. You need a couple females and/or separate pens.

10. Maggie3

Maggie3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Central Michigan
    Here's a pic of the Pekin's..male and female both are about 2 months old. The lady wants me to take the Rouen too.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by