Pekin Duckling 12 Days Cant Walk or Balance - Need Assistance

Silverladyrae

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 24, 2013
Hi all, I'm new here and I need help!

I did my intro thread, but basically here's my deal. I have 3 12 day old Pekin Ducklings. I got these 3 because I'm a sucker for a needy animal and when stopping by my local feed store they had just gotten in a batch of 2 day old Pekins. One lil guy they were calling "Rolly" they had separated out due to his inability to walk, or even balance on his feet. I decided to give him a shot and took him and 2 mates home to fledge. I have a home for them locally, as I cannot keep them myself permanently, and when they are old enough they get to go live on a safe pond with no dogs and be as safe as they can be.

Their names: Huey, Dewey and Louie (although based on vocal emanations, I'm almost certain Louie is Louise).

My issue is the sickly guy, Huey. I have been researching like mad for days, here and everywhere else, to help me get him the best shot possible.

They are all on non medicated chick feed, I made them a waterer they can use to dunk their heads but not swim in and have access to food and water 24/7.

I am adding about 125mg of Niacin to each gallon of water, with a lil bit of sugar thrown in, as well as adding Poly Vi Sol (no iron) to each bowl of water they get.

Dewey and Louise are HUGE. As in more than double the size they were when I brought them home last week (is that normal by the way?).

And Huey, other than not being able to walk or balance very well eats like a lil piglet, drinks like a fish, but is not growing nearly as fast. He is hand fed and watered from a syringe every 2 hours or so to ensure he gets enough food and water, although I have set up their enclosure like a pinball machine, so when he gets to his feet he can usually careen (I use that term quite literally) to the food and water. Often falling in both, more often falling over and screaming and kicking till he can get righted, or just getting tired and passing out. He also has a somewhat floppy neck, as in doesn't sit on top of his body like the others, and as you see from my avatar, usually just flops over. The pic is him sleeping in my lap, which is usually the only way he can get decent rest, as I can hold him up to preen and do the lil twitching they all do when napping. Which is another concern as I wont be able to keep him and I worry he will imprint too strongly and if he survives this, wont be successfully part of the flock at his new home.

Huey has made much improvement, as now he can usually right himself if he has something to push off of, and he has plenty of energy, which usually results in him getting excited and flopping himself over. He can also on occasion make short dashes without falling but while I have seen others say their ducks will crawl, he doesn't crawl, he tries to hop up and run, gets off balance, falls, flops, and rolls around while the larger ducklings are starting to step on him and his face (which is another worry).

I took him to the vet last week, who was super unhelpful, basically just telling me that it could be "congenital, he may grown out of it" and all we can do is see what happens. I don't mind waiting to see, but was hoping someone here might have insight. I saw that someone posted last year about a "Peppie" who developed what looks like an identical issue last summer, but wasn't hatched that way, but there wasn't an update as to how it finally turned out.

Any help anyone can provide would be much appreciated. I'll try and post pics shortly.

Above - lil Huey stuck in the corner

Sleeping (when they were all new, now Dewey and Louie are quite literally double his size)

Huey looking very "special", his eyes are fine. Louie (no puff) giving me the stink eye, which is normal, and Dewey (puff) eyeballing me, also normal.

I forgot to mention, I am using Niacin "time release" but I am crushing the lil capsules in a mortar and pestle. Does this make a difference?

They are also getting 2 vitamin e capsules dissolved in their gallon of water each time I make it up.

Poor Huey! I have no knowledge for you. Sorry. But I have heard that cresteds are known for having neurological problems. :( Hopefully my comment will bump this up and another member with more knowledge will see it. I want to know what happens to little Huey. Good luck!

I forgot to mention, I am using Niacin "time release" but I am crushing the lil capsules in a mortar and pestle. Does this make a difference?

They are also getting 2 vitamin e capsules dissolved in their gallon of water each time I make it up.
Time release isn't the best option. It usually takes much too long to break down in ducklings. It's usually out of their system before they can properly absorb it.
what are the vit. E for? sorry...I dont know much about vit's. I wish I could help but hopefully someone with more knowledge can come along and help :)
It can be beneficial for wry neck cases.

Hi there!

Hopefully this thread will help you - I posted last week as I was, and still am, having the same problems with my khaki campbell duckling. She's on niacin supplements in her water as well as 1 part rice bran mash to 1 part chick stater but the hobbles really seem to be helping her get her legs under her into the correct position so she can stand properly. She's slowly building up strength to be able to walk properly again! Like I said.... hope it helps!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/756861/duckling-niacin-deficiency

Poor Huey! I have no knowledge for you. Sorry. But I have heard that cresteds are known for having neurological problems.
sad.png
Hopefully my comment will bump this up and another member with more knowledge will see it. I want to know what happens to little Huey. Good luck!

Thank you!!

i had a simalier situation and i wastold to have them try to swim to build up their leg muscles

Did it work? Were they able to begin walking?

Hi there!

Hopefully this thread will help you - I posted last week as I was, and still am, having the same problems with my khaki campbell duckling. She's on niacin supplements in her water as well as 1 part rice bran mash to 1 part chick stater but the hobbles really seem to be helping her get her legs under her into the correct position so she can stand properly. She's slowly building up strength to be able to walk properly again! Like I said.... hope it helps!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/756861/duckling-niacin-deficiency

Thank you! I am off to read up on your thread, I appreciate it!

Hope it helps! Hazel's also getting 'water therapy' twice a day after which I reapply the hobble. She's not thrilled with it, but it does seem to be working and she's gaining strength back into her legs which are now still being held in the correct position.

Back
Top Bottom