Pekin Duckling 2 weeks old HELP!

MyGalVal1

In the Brooder
5 Years
Dec 2, 2014
I incubated a few of my Pekin eggs, and only one hatched....my Daffy is doing very well and is healthy and growing well....but he/she is getting very LOUD and I am wondering if there is anyway I can keep him/her out at the farm with mommy and daddy...I am in Southern Indiana and it is freezing here....I had planned on keeping Daffy in the house until he feathered out, but if some of you have had babies outside/in barn did it work out? Obviously I will need lots of heat lamps, etc. I am prepared to keep him in the house but Lord he is loud. He wants me 24/7.

Is there any possibility of getting him a friend around the same age? That is really the best thing to do at this point. It is extremely difficult to raise singletons, they really do need you to be with them all the time or they flip out. Instinct tells them to stay with "mom" or at least their siblings, at all times. They go a little crazy if they can't do that. The parents will not likely accept Daffy and he would be in danger of them attacking and killing him when he's so small.

I wondered if his parents would be a danger....I doubt I will be able to find a friend for him but I will look :D

Thank you for your help! How old do you think he needs to be before he can join the grown ducks? And how old before he can be in the barn if I keep him separate from the grown ducks?

Thank you for your help!  How old do you think he needs to be before he can join the grown ducks?  And how old before he can be in the barn if I keep him separate from the grown ducks?

He can be in the barn now if you can keep it warm enough, however heat lamp and a huge fire hazard so be very, very careful. I don't know if I would do it. He needs to be about the same size as the other ducks so you have a few more weeks. It also needs to be done slowly. If you want to put him in the barn now is there anyway to fence off an area so that the ducks can see each other but not touch? They make plastic "chicken wire" that worka really well. That should help with his loneliness. Or the other option is to get another duckling. They really need to be with another duck otherwise they get really lonely and scared which is why he is always calling for you. Keeping him by himself is really, really hard on them if you are not able to be with him almost all day and night.

Hopefully I will be able to find another duckling for him. He gets a lot of attention but obviously not 24/7. :( I had so hoped one of the other eggs would hatch :(

Good news! I have ordered 2 sisters on line for Daffy! They will be 2 weeks difference in age but I think he will be very happy! They were a fortune to ship but guaranteed :D

Good news! I have ordered 2 sisters on line for Daffy! They will be 2 weeks difference in age but I think he will be very happy! They were a fortune to ship but guaranteed :D

That's great! So glad you were able to find him some friends so fast! Will they be 2 weeks older, or younger? Either way, just watch closely for awhile at first to make sure whoever is smaller isn't being bullied. You'll have to be sure the smaller one(s) are also getting enough food. Good luck, and I know Daffy will thank you for the friends! :)

That's great! So glad you were able to find him some friends so fast! Will they be 2 weeks older, or younger? Either way, just watch closely for awhile at first to make sure whoever is smaller isn't being bullied. You'll have to be sure the smaller one(s) are also getting enough food. Good luck, and I know Daffy will thank you for the friends! :)
X2

Back
Top Bottom