Pekin duckling appears pigeon-toed! Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MrsClucky, Sep 16, 2011.

1. MrsClucky

MrsClucky Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2008
    Silverton, OR
    Doris is about three weeks old and her feet are both pointed in and overlap, making walking tricky for her. She steps on her own feet. She seems to sit an awful lot. She's in the house, in a big sheep trough with another duckling (a Buff who walks normally), hay for bedding, brooder lamp - everything she's supposed to have. Her appetite is great and except for a dirty, wet belly (where she keeps sitting in her own poop), appears healthy and happy.

Will she grow into her awkward feet? Or is there anything I can do for her now so she's not disabled the rest of her life?

Thanks!

2. Kmoreau

Kmoreau Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Mine was exactly the same way, she grew out of it and is now perfectly fine.

3. MrsClucky

MrsClucky Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2008
    Silverton, OR
    Thank you, Kmoreau! That's a huge relief.

And your the first person I've seen on this site who listed husband first! [​IMG]

4. toadbriar

toadbriar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2010
    central massacheezits
    yeah it's Foot Growing Day. Next comes Bill Growing Day where she'll suddenly look like a toucan, and then she'll grow out her feet again, and sprout some little hilarious ear tufts. Enjoy the process. Eventually she'll look normal [​IMG]

5. Kmoreau

Kmoreau Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Quote:Thanks! Haha I will let him know. He was around before the animals, he's the one that makes keeping them possible, he loves me and my love of animals, and puts up with my addiction to byc. Besides he's the best husband in the world (on most days... Jk lol)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by