Pekin Duckling Can't Walk

smh6933

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 4, 2011
I bought 4 pekin ducklings a little over a week ago and everything was going great until 3 nights ago we noticed one of the ducklings couldn't walk. He/She is dragging its legs, basically walking on his/her elbows. We were given chicken starter to feed them which has 15 % protein. We've tried calling the place we got them and a couple vets but no one will help. I have read other posts with similar problems and polyvisol was recommended....any thoughts? Is the food wrong? They have a nice home with bedding water and food. I don't want to give up on the little guy. Please HELP.

they need nician and chick feed doesn't have enough, so you'll need to go to pharmacy at get nician capsules and put it in their water, sorry i don't know the dosage, but if you will go to the duck thread which is down a ways passed this one, you can find out all the info you need for taking care of your ducklings.
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
Thanks, we bought some niacin and put it in their water, hope it works. Any idea when we should see results? It seems the ducklings foot is bowed in, kinda like someone with bad arthritis....not sure if that means anything different.

Week or bowed legs are symptoms of niacin deficiency. He/She should recover now that you have added niacin to their diet. I don't know how long it should take, but it seems to me that I read somewhere that it doesn't take long to notice a difference. Just make sure that they keep using the niacin until they are eight to ten weeks old.

Keep us posted.
smile.png

My poor baby Pekin.....I feel so bad watching her hobble around on her elbows. I'm hoping the niacin will work, but I'm not sure how long I should give it to them because I'm not sure how old they are. The store that sold them to us doesn't know much about them at all and in my opinion they should know a little more about what they are selling. Anyway, they have all been doing great until last weekend and I just feel helpless. My little hobbler doesn't go over to the water or food but when I bring it to her she drinks it and eats it so I'm hoping thats a good sign. I just hope its not too late, her little foot looks horrible all bowed in.

They should be on the supplement until they are eight to ten weeks old. That is for already healthy ducklings. I don't think it would hurt to keep them on a little longer. I would definitely keep feeding her has often has you can. Try putting some thawed, mashed, frozen peas in a shallow bowl filled with the niacin water, and see if maybe she won't walk to that. Ducklings love peas, and they are good for them. A while back a user, NETTIE, posted a list of all kinds of treats that you can give your ducks. It's a great list, and I will attach the link to this post for you. Hope she gets better soon.

Keep us updated.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=242460

Thanks azenhouse, I will try that today. I hope she gets better soon, its breaking my heart:(

Back
Top Bottom