Pekin Duckling Laying down MOST of the time and army crawls... Normal or Not??

Pics

MamaBearsFlock

Chirping
Mar 18, 2015
Hello Everyone!

New Flock Mama here, and I've never raised chickens or ducks before, but we just got 8 chicks and 1 Pekin duckling. I am not sure if this is "normal" duckling behavior, but she lays down MOST of the time, and when she does stand up she is VERY wobbly... like she cannot seem to keep her balance, so she will army crawl to another spot in the brooder. She is eating and drinking just fine, the chicks are not being mean to her, and I have checked her feet and legs for any abrasions... nothing to report. Am I over-worrying (something I tend to do with 6 kids, 3 dogs, 1 cat, and now 9 more babies) or does this sound like something is going on with her??? Also, this might be laughable as well, but her wings are itsy-bitsy-teeny-tiny. Like the size of one of those colorful pencil eraser caps... is that "normal" as well??

I have searched and searched for these "issues" online and nothing has come up, so maybe it is just normal, but I wanted to ask my new BYC Chicken Family just in case. I had 3 of my Barred Rocks staying in a makeshift chick-hospital (made from my husbands boot box, a heating pad, and a towel last night because they had some pasting (which I knew NOTHING about until I looked it up last night after seeing it on them since the morning), but after I took care of them and tried to put them back with the others.... there was a whole lot of "inappropriate pecking" going on, so I decided it was best for them to be separated until their little back sides weren't so raw. I am almost at information overload, but I am really enjoying them.

Thank You in advance!!!

Susan

Hello Everyone!

New Flock Mama here, and I've never raised chickens or ducks before, but we just got 8 chicks and 1 Pekin duckling. I am not sure if this is "normal" duckling behavior, but she lays down MOST of the time, and when she does stand up she is VERY wobbly... like she cannot seem to keep her balance, so she will army crawl to another spot in the brooder. She is eating and drinking just fine, the chicks are not being mean to her, and I have checked her feet and legs for any abrasions... nothing to report. Am I over-worrying (something I tend to do with 6 kids, 3 dogs, 1 cat, and now 9 more babies) or does this sound like something is going on with her??? Also, this might be laughable as well, but her wings are itsy-bitsy-teeny-tiny. Like the size of one of those colorful pencil eraser caps... is that "normal" as well??

I have searched and searched for these "issues" online and nothing has come up, so maybe it is just normal, but I wanted to ask my new BYC Chicken Family just in case. I had 3 of my Barred Rocks staying in a makeshift chick-hospital (made from my husbands boot box, a heating pad, and a towel last night because they had some pasting (which I knew NOTHING about until I looked it up last night after seeing it on them since the morning), but after I took care of them and tried to put them back with the others.... there was a whole lot of "inappropriate pecking" going on, so I decided it was best for them to be separated until their little back sides weren't so raw. I am almost at information overload, but I am really enjoying them.

Thank You in advance!!!

Susan

Umm no. That is not normal.

Ducks are NOT LIKE CHICKENS. GAH!

For one they need non medicated feed. For two they NEED vitamans like niacin. buy this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0042LA2PG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
a 1/2 teaspoon makes 3 gallons.

Ducks shouldn't be alone and they shouldn't really be with chickens, either.

Duck wings are laughably tiny at hatching age. Have you tried Brewers yeast for the duckling and are you using chicken feed or mixed flock feed? Are the chicks the same age? Are we talking "Now you must die!" pecking or reestablishing the pecking order pecking? Any way to put up a transparent border between the two "groups".

I have asked just about anyone I have come in contact with who raises foul if it was ok to have ducks and chickens together and everyone has told me that it is perfectly fine. Nothing about different diets (I asked specifically), having more than one, or separating them. They are all eating "Chicken Starter Grower" by Nature Wise. Other than the laying down and being really wobbly Bernese is not acting sickly. She seems to like the chickens and the chickens like her too. As far as the pecking last night... it was the "You are going to die" pecking, but the girls healed a great deal last night and are back with the others with no more problems. All of them are the same age.

Last edited:
I have asked just about anyone I have come in contact with who raises foul if it was ok to have ducks and chickens together and everyone has told me that it is perfectly fine. Nothing about different diets (I asked specifically), having more than one, or separating them. They are all eating "Chicken Starter Grower" by Nature Wise. Other than the laying down and being really wobbly Bernese is not acting sickly. She seems to like the chickens and the chickens like her too. As far as the pecking last night... it was the "You are going to die" pecking, but the girls healed a great deal last night and are back with the others with no more problems. All of them are the same age.
I think Bernese needs some niacin, chick feed just doesn't have enough for ducklings. either in vitamin form added to their water or brewers yeast sprinkled on top of feed, it will not harm the chicks, I would get Bernese a duckling friend though they really need a buddy of their own kind.

And Welcome to BYC!

Definitely not normal for a duckling. Sounds like it definitely has some leg issues going on. Ducklings need more niacin than is found in chick feed, so you'll want to add either niacin or brewer's yeast (both do the same thing) to the pekin's food or water right away. Niacin deficiency will cause leg issues in young ducklings. Usually adding it to their diet will fix the problem over time, though. :)

Can you post a pic of the Pekin's legs by any chance? Just to be sure it isn't a slipped tendon or something else going on?

Here are Bernese's legs (I hope they upload... this is from my phone), I will be getting Niacin or Brewers Yeast TODAY, and another Pekin friend for her (we're going to the hatchery for a couple of Silkies as well). I would like to add that she runs like the Dickens to get under the light (but mainly away from me and my daily exams) and does fine, but as soon as "the threat" is over... back to laying down.

Here are Bernese's legs (I hope they upload... this is from my phone), I will be getting Niacin or Brewers Yeast TODAY, and another Pekin friend for her (we're going to the hatchery for a couple of Silkies as well). I would like to add that she runs like the Dickens to get under the light (but mainly away from me and my daily exams) and does fine, but as soon as "the threat" is over... back to laying down.
Legs look good, but Pekins are one of the worst for niacin issues they grow so fast their little legs can't keep up so it's always best to start them on some kind of B3 right away. Be sure if you decide on niacin to get flush free and only plain niacin will work. start her off on 100mgs then each week add 50 meg to it till she is 10 weeks old. By then they are usually out of danger. Please be sure to post pics of the 2 when you get her a friend but member this new little one will be an outsider so your going to have to gradually get the first group use to the new duckling even Bernese maybe place some kind of barrier between residents and new comer for a day or 2 so they can see each other unless you plan on brooding Bernnese just with the new duckling then you'll still have to make sure Bernese doesn't pick on the wee one. here is some info
http://metzerfarms.blogspot.com/2011/03/are-my-ducklings-leg-problems-due-to.html

Last edited:
Legs look good, but Pekins are one of the worst for niacin issues they grow so fast their little legs can't keep up so it's always best to start them on some kind of B3 right away. Be sure if you decide on niacin to get flush free and only plain niacin will work. start her off on 100mgs then each week add 50 meg to it till she is 10 weeks old. By then they are usually out of danger. Please be sure to post pics of the 2 when you get her a friend but member this new little one will be an outsider so your going to have to gradually get the first group use to the new duckling even Bernese maybe place some kind of barrier between residents and new comer for a day or 2 so they can see each other unless you plan on brooding Bernnese just with the new duckling then you'll still have to make sure Bernese doesn't pick on the wee one. here is some info
http://metzerfarms.blogspot.com/2011/03/are-my-ducklings-leg-problems-due-to.html

X2! No visible deformity or slipped tendons. That's a good thing!

Good luck and keep us updated with how it goes with the new duckling buddy! I'm sure Bernese will appreciate a friend of the same species. :)

Okay, I'll make sure I get the right Niacin and post pictures of the whole flock. I just got them all on St. Patrick's Day (from two different hatcheries) will they still be so territorial at that age and such a short time together? I can definately separate them if needed.

Back
Top Bottom