Pekin ducklings - head looks strange ??

JayZee1054

Hatching
Apr 22, 2020
Hi there,

I am raising 4 ducklings that I got at a local feed store. I believe 2 are khaki Campbell and 2 are pekin. I’ve had them almost 2 weeks now, assuming they were a couple days old at the feed store but no idea. I am curious on the look of the Pekins... they were normal fluffy yellow things and after having them about a week their heads started looking weird - like they always look wet but kind of a brown / red color ? I was worried it was blood at first but they look the same.. maybe they are a different breed and this is normal? They aren’t acting strange from what I can tell. Any idea?? Hopefully it isn’t a disease or anything it just doesn’t look good and I wasn’t expecting it! See pictures :)
B94A379A-9F0D-4B10-AA9C-9612D24D5E54.jpeg
19C4E8A6-C6C7-4804-8D0C-F8CF28D8127E.jpeg
B3515E45-6DD2-429C-8268-893578C4CA42.jpeg

Okay just did a little research and based on how those guys stand maybe they are runners?? So the coloring may be normal? I just want to know if I should be worried and change their brooder in some way to help or if it’s all good.

When I was raising my runner duck she had the same thing on her head they might be growing in feathers/fluff on their heads. But I definitely think the the two yellow ducks are runner ducks.

Hi there,

I am raising 4 ducklings that I got at a local feed store. I believe 2 are khaki Campbell and 2 are pekin. I’ve had them almost 2 weeks now, assuming they were a couple days old at the feed store but no idea. I am curious on the look of the Pekins... they were normal fluffy yellow things and after having them about a week their heads started looking weird - like they always look wet but kind of a brown / red color ? I was worried it was blood at first but they look the same.. maybe they are a different breed and this is normal? They aren’t acting strange from what I can tell. Any idea?? Hopefully it isn’t a disease or anything it just doesn’t look good and I wasn’t expecting it! See pictures :)View attachment 2137872View attachment 2137873View attachment 2137874

The yellow ones are Runners, looks like they haven't been able to dunk their heads in water recently which is essential to their health.

They look wet/naked to me but hard to tell from those pics. :) closer pics to assess the skin might be helpful. My runner has bald patches here and there where her fluff is gone but the feathers haven’t come in yet. (And yes, she has constant access to water deep enough to dip her whole head in, which she does on a regular basis.)
Do you have a water container deep enough to dip their heads into, as Isaac 0 mentioned?

Agree, they always look wet! I have been using a metal feeder for their waterer (learned from the Duck Chronicles on youtube, attached a pic) which does allow them to get their head in there but not like a bowl of water. I am curious why the khakis look fine though? They all have had one swim and the khakis definitely caught on faster than the yellow guys - I do agree they seem to be runners, but they may not understand to dunk down fully ?

Anyways, it sounds like I should switch up their waterer now to a bowl instead. Is it OK to use a classic small waterer with the jug on top, or no because that is tough to dunk in as well? Thank you all for the comments and advice! I will try to get a better picture up close, too. They HATE me right now :( Trying to not take it personally, as I know it takes a while for them to warm up.

Attachments

• new-farm-store-stock-chick-chicken-feeder-galvanized-zinc-metal-grain-mash-trough-pan-Laurel-L...jpg
    new-farm-store-stock-chick-chicken-feeder-galvanized-zinc-metal-grain-mash-trough-pan-Laurel-L...jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 3
When I was raising my runner duck she had the same thing on her head they might be growing in feathers/fluff on their heads. But I definitely think the the two yellow ducks are runner ducks.
oh thats so good to hear that someone else has had something similar happen! I could not find anything online.. seems like you are correct and they are runners. fun surprise!

My little runner is soooo tall compared to the other breeds I’ve had. Even for swimming water, she’s kind of like, hm. A puddle to splash in with my feet. Lol. You could experiment with different things for water for them if you’re concerned with them not being able to dunk. I use one of those gravity feed waterers that are meant for cats or small dogs, it’s got a big enough bowl that they can get their head in there, and technically stand in it if they really want, but not get too soaked. I usually put that in after the first week, when they’re a little bit bigger. I start them on a shallow dish with rocks or marbles so they don’t drown or chill themselves for the first week.
I’ve also seen the “milk jug” DIY waterers, with a hole cut out in the side big enough to stick their head through but not too big, and the water filled to the bottom of the hole. That might be something to try for your tall ducklings too. :)

Aww that’s cute! They will be in awkward teenager phase soon haha.

After they had a swim yesterday, once they were dry the yellow guys look all good again!! So you guys were right, they were probably not able to dunk their heads before or just weren’t... once they got excited in the bath they were soaked and now look like yellowfluffs again. Still thinking they are runners but it will be interesting to see what they grow up to be!

890847DF-900B-4294-8F3F-77D14828B5E1.jpeg

Aww that’s cute! They will be in awkward teenager phase soon haha.

After they had a swim yesterday, once they were dry the yellow guys look all good again!! So you guys were right, they were probably not able to dunk their heads before or just weren’t... once they got excited in the bath they were soaked and now look like yellowfluffs again. Still thinking they are runners but it will be interesting to see what they grow up to be!

View attachment 2141339
I would say they’re definitely runners, with that stance and that straight line from brow to bill. :) They may wind up white, maybe buff? Mine is blue so looks a lot different. Haha. Glad you’ve got them fluffed up again. :D

Back
Top Bottom