Pekin ducks and swimming pool question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by gumpsgirl, Jun 20, 2008.

1. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    "IF" I decide to get some Pekin ducks, will they be able to get into our soft set pool? It is 3 ft. high off of the ground. If this will be a problem, then I won't be able to get the ducks. [​IMG]

2. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

I don't think so. Mine have a problem with an eight inch height unless there is a ramp and then they needed trained.

3. gumpsgirl

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Thank you! That is exactly what I needed to know. [​IMG]

4. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    They do also have little claws (at least mine do) and they're fairly sharp. Possibly would poke holes in a soft pool.

5. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    i us a kiddie pool about 6 inches high and my ducks can get in fine

6. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    It's too tall, even if they flap and jump high enough to get in they can't get out because the soft set pool sides won't support them and slide back in. You would have to have the water less than 3 inches from the top at all times. They aren't like wild ducks that just take off and fly out of a lake. Ducks have problems with a ramp that is too steep and it would take a very long ramp to be the proper grade for them to be able to walk up it. I don't suggest it all.

7. SueNH

SueNH Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2007
    The pool is for you right?

Get a plastic kiddie pool for the ducks and they won't bother yours. The soft side will be too high for the fat meat breed to get into.

8. gumpsgirl

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:Right! I was asking this question because I was worried about them getting into OUR pool (the soft sided one) and causing problems in there. They would definitely have their own small pool! LOL! I just wanted to make sure that they couldn't get into the kids pool. That would cause a lot of problems around here and I would be in a lot of trouble! I don't think that my filter could handle all of the duck poo and everything else that they would bring with them into the pool.

9. gumpsgirl

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:I guess I didn't word this question correctly. This is the family pool NOT the duck pool. I merrily wanted to know if I was going to have problems with the ducks getting into OUR pool! They would have their own small pool to swim in. We could possibly dig a hole in the ground and drop their pool into it so they wouldn't have problems getting in and out. I just don't want them in the soft sided pool. [​IMG]

10. ml

ml Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    They should not beable to get in it. Plus you can fence them out easily enough.

ML

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by