Pekin Ducks as mothers?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by akmiddlebrooks, Nov 1, 2008.

1. akmiddlebrooks

akmiddlebrooks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2008
    I have a pekin duck hen that has gone broody today. She is sitting on 15 eggs that are not fertile because there is no male ducks around. My question is: Will a pekin duck sit on, hatch and mother standard chicks? I have plenty of Black Australorp eggs to set.:eek:
    Thanks,
    akm

2. Bex

Bex Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2008
    Virginia
    If she is broody than I imagine she would set on chicken eggs.

3. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:I'm sure she would sit on what you gave her !! But then you will run in to the problem when she wants to take them swimming !! Dont think that would work very well.

There have been other posts about ducks hatching chickens, Do a search on it, some have had bad luck with it !!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
  4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    You have a broody Pekin?? [​IMG] Good for you! I have heard that they don't brood very often! But like swtangel321 said, I would watch closely once they hatch, so she doesn't try to take them swimming. A mama duck would take the ducklings swimming fairly soon after hatching, and a baby chick wouldn't know any better than to follow mommy into the water! Probably be best to not have any large containers of water in with her. Or you could always steal the chicks back after she does the hard part! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by