1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pekin Ducks .....born in March & April......no eggs???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bargain, Dec 29, 2009.

1. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Should I expect any this winter or should I just wait until the Spring?

This is my first time with ducks of any kind....so I'm learning......

I already learned that I had more boys than I thought [​IMG]

I have 6 girls and 5 boys..... Should I move a few of the boys out of the pen?

I don't do artifical lighting on them...

They are in a large fenced in area and don't think they are hiding eggs, unless at the bottom of their hand dug pool..... Hope not there!

Thanks and have a blessed day!

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  2. LilDucky85

LilDucky85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Northern, Illinois
    This is my first time owning any kind of poultry as well, and I have Pekins that were born in April too. They actually started hatching early, on Easter day! I live in Illinois and its very cold and snowy here right now. Its been anywhere from 30 degrees to below zero for the past month so I added a red heat lamp to their coop. It doesn't give off that much heat but it keeps the bottom of the coop from freezing. Last weekend, on the 19th I came home from a weekend trip to find two eggs in the coop!! You can imagine how surprised I was to find them since I didn't expect any until Spring- if ever! Every day I have gotten 2 eggs, I'm pretty sure out of my 6 ducks I only have 2 girls! I posted a thread asking why they started laying in the middle of winter and someone said ducks, and I think Chickens, need at least 14 hours of light to lay. Another person said that ducks lay year round.

3. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Pekins aren't usually the best layers so in all liklihood you won't get eggs until spring but you may get one once in awhile.
    You need to reduce the number of males. They will over breed your females & sometomes can actually kill the females. With 6 females I wouldn't keep more than 2 males.
    BTW Peking Duck is a dish served in Chinese restaurants-you have Pekin Ducks but Peking Duck would be one way to go with the extra males.

4. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    [​IMG] Will definitely reduce # of males......

5. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    Ditto on the previous suggestions - WAAAAAYYYY too many boys, wrong time of year for Pekins generally as they aren't good layers.

6. Ducks-R-Us

Ducks-R-Us Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    North Dakota
    I have some pekins that were born the end of May, I started getting eggs from them the end of October. I hatched some of their eggs by the end of November. My 5 pekins (2 males - 3 females) have now turned into 17. I quit saving their eggs but I am still getting eggs from them daily. Actually, got 3 eggs from them today.

7. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    My oldest Pekin girls were hatched in april, they started laying eggs in October and I get eggs everyday from them. I've hatched 2 of their eggs and cooked the rest up in pies or as a treat for the chickens and ducks.

Michelle

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by