Pekin Duck's Fighting or Mating?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Chik-N-Crazy, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Chik-N-Crazy

Chik-N-Crazy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2009
    Currie, NC
    Ok, I know this sounds dumb, but... I have two Pekins they are a year old. I was pretty sure they were both male, they both have a curved feather...
    So, for about the last 2 weeks or so one of the seems to be trying to mate with the other one. They wrestle around in the pool, and he bites onto the others back feathers, etc. I have been on the lookout for eggs, should be easy since they are in a pen, but nothing.
    I would not care except if the are both males will one end up killing the other? Like a dominance thing? They are the only thing in the pen, just my 2 ducks. Any ideas?[​IMG]

2. Fancie

Fancie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Illinois
    they are both male if they hava a curl feather.... they are probably mating... if it disturbs you I would get them a duck....

3. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    they're fighting. i got eggs before my girl was one. she was only a couple months old. she's not even one year yet. but i do have 3 boys and they fight all the time. they grab each other by the feathers on the front of their neck, their back, their but and their wings. we've had to seperate them. two and nicely bonded and don't fight at all, so they other one has the girl. pretty soon we'll be adding more girls so they can all live together again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by