Pekin ducks I am officially confused.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Stonebridge-CA, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Stonebridge-CA

Stonebridge-CA New Egg

Sep 20, 2013
    Auburn, California
    [​IMG]

I own three hens and a drake. I have decided to try and hatch out a clutch of eggs. My issue is how do you tell which eggs have been fertilized and which ones haven't. My duck hens have been laying three-four eggs a day the last four days. Today I only found two eggs and its very obvious that they are not fertile but they might be. Is there a way to tell if the drake got to them?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    How are you determining fertility?

(I am not a pro at this, just hoping to get more details here so someone who knows all about this can jump in.)

Welcome to the Forum (c:

3. Stonebridge-CA

Stonebridge-CA New Egg

Sep 20, 2013
    Auburn, California
    That's my question Amiga. It used to be easy until they stopped laying in late December and started laying again about three weeks ago.

4. Stonebridge-CA

Stonebridge-CA New Egg

Sep 20, 2013
    Auburn, California
    BTW I don't have a lot of time to sit on here but once a month since joining last spring.

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  6. The Chickeneer

The Chickeneer ~A Morning's Crow~

You can crack some open for breakfast. The way people here have discovered how to tell a fertile egg from a non fertile, is by looking at certain spot on the yolk. There should be a white dot on every yolk. If the dot is surrounded by a ring, it is fertile. It is described as looking like a bull's eye. This is known as the Blastoderm, and is also refereed to as the germinal disc, and means the egg is fertile. i would just eat the eggs everyday, until you start seeing the bulls eye, then after you know thy are laying fertile eggs, start saving them. I don't think there is any other way to tell if an eggs is fertile or not unless you crack it open using this method, or incubate it for a time.

[​IMG]This one is fertile

[​IMG]This one is not
    Hope this helped

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
    2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by