Pekin Ducks made a nest outside of coop

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ThePigeonKid, Apr 9, 2012.

1. ThePigeonKid

ThePigeonKid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
    I didn't realize that they had a nest but saw one duck alone a lot, and they are always together. Finally we found the nest. They made a nest outside of the coop and have been staying on the eggs all day but when we call them at night they come into the coop. They have been doing this for 3 days and have 3 eggs in the nest. It has been down to the 30's at night while the eggs have been unattended and I am pretty sure that they will not make it. How many eggs will she lay before she goes all the way broody and quits laying eggs? Should I move the eggs into a safe place for her, separated from the rest, so that she can finish laying and be safe?

2. ThePigeonKid

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
    [​IMG]

3. ThePigeonKid

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
    No one knows??? [​IMG]

4. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I would move the nest, lock her into the run or coop and see how it goes. If it has been that cold at night, they may not incubate. You could take those eggs, build her a nest in a safe place, put one egg in there so that she sees that it is a safe place for her to lay and then hope that she begins laying there.
    My muscovy did something similar but decided the chicken's nest box was a good spot. I locked her in the duck run and she continued laying there. She just hatched 11 ducklings last week.

You don't want to leave her there. She is vulnerable as are the eggs.

She'll lay eggs until she feels comforatble that she can cover them.

5. ThePigeonKid

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs

Thanks! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by