Pekin ducks stopped mating

I would say that just because you don't see them mate, doesn't mean they aren't mating. I will also say, that just because you don't have eggs, doesn't mean they aren't laying. I'd go on a hunt for a hidden nest if you haven't already. Also brain storm any recent changes, changing to housing, bedding, feed, new flock members, a new piece of lawn furniture, a new pool, anything different in their environment... ducks are prone to going on laying strikes over seemingly silly reasons. They don't like change and get stressed easily.

Thank you for the welcome message and the fast reply! They are all about 2 years old. I actually made a slight mistake. Two females are Indian runners. Either way, ALL stopped laying and mating! Even the back of the females neck feathers have filled back in.

Ah ha! You said feathers filled back in. Your ducks are in molt. Their energy (and protein) is being used to grow new feathers right now instead of laying eggs!

Feathers generally only regrow during molt. I have ladies that have had bald necks for months. They don’t just grow new feathers after drake damage until molt time. Ducks molting is not as dramatic as chickens molting. They don’t drop feathers in clumps or get big bald patches. They are likely growing new feather other places as well, it’s just less obvious when it’s down, etc.

Even though it's JUST the feathers where the males are pulling them out?? No other feathers have been lost. And, does this explain the males just up and stopped mating??
Pick them up and see if you can feel any pin feathers growing in. If you can, they are molting and that could explain why you haven't seen them mating and haven't found any eggs.

Thank you for the welcome message and the fast reply! They are all about 2 years old. I actually made a slight mistake. Two females are Indian runners. Either way, ALL stopped laying and mating! Even the back of the females neck feathers have filled back in.

Thank you for the reply! There has been absolutely no change to even the slightest thing. As stated to the previously member, even the ladies neck feathers have filled back in. This had been going on for about 3 weeks now. No possible hidden nest as they are in their own little runner area with awesome pool, shade, sun... I wasn't allowing free range because my Great Pyrennese decided to start eating eggs but, this was the beginning of spring when I stopped free ranging. The males were super active with romance time, the females were active daily layers.... It's like the switch in both males and females just turned off.

Back
Top Bottom