Pekin Ducks Suffered Neglect - Looking to help them heal

Emilyamon

Hatching
Apr 24, 2023
I picked up some mature ducks from a large established farm the other day and when I brought them home (they put them right into the carrier for me) found that they have some significant skin issues. I was pretty surprised by the state of them to be honest.
They were caked in mud and are missing some feathers, their wings have been clipped (i know it's a common practise but doesn't seem necessary for pekins) and they have a lot of scaly scabby red skin on their necks, under their wings, and backside. Their feet look good, and they seem to be emotionally OK (and incredibly, they still are laying eggs..) but I can see there's been neglect and it's very sad. I really want to help them get back up to full health.
I know them simply having a clean run and lots of fresh water will be a good start, but I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions or advice? I'm a new duck mom and want to help these lil ladies get fully feathered again! And I'm worried their skin might get infected if I don't do anything about it..
looking for advice
❤

Bless you for rescuing these ducks. Sounds like drakes may have been over breeding them as for the necks and could be with their vet wings too. They have to climb on and hang on by grabbing their neck feathers. You can rinse their wounds in warm epsom salt water let them dry and spray with Veterycin for wounds and infection that would be a start. Then good feed and some supplements to boost their immune e system rooster booster poultry call is a good one. You can add it to their drinking water or give orally.

Bless you for rescuing these ducks. Sounds like drakes may have been over breeding them as for the necks and could be with their vet wings too. They have to climb on and hang on by grabbing their neck feathers. You can rinse their wounds in warm epsom salt water let them dry and spray with Veterycin for wounds and infection that would be a start. Then good feed and some supplements to boost their immune e system rooster booster poultry call is a good one. You can add it to their drinking water or give orally.
https://www.amazon.com/UnRuffledRx-...ix=feather+spray+for+duck,aps,183&sr=8-2&th=1 do you think a topical spray like this would help? I don't think Veterycin is available near me!

What a sad start for those ducks, but it sounds like they've lucked into a caring home. ❤️

I agree that clean, regularly available swimming water and good nutrition should go a long way to getting your ladies back to good health. Best wishes!

I think it’s great you rescued those gals! They will be much happier in a calmer and more friendly environment. It would probably be worth getting nutridrench and definitely RAW apple cider vinegar to give the a boost and back on the right track.

These are the things I use on my ducks all from Amazon ca
I have used the silver on neck wounds from boys biting to much to bumble foot and one girl has a fungal infection with gleet issues I use the spray on her vent
Also grabbing Nutridrench or poultry cell for vitamin boost
The probiotic is 1/2 tsp over a small treat that one has birds listed so make sure that’s the one you get
I do peas and slightly wet them then mix it in
My duck gobbles it right up

Attachments

• C987A784-F3CF-47E5-AC05-A340CA98BA80.png
    C987A784-F3CF-47E5-AC05-A340CA98BA80.png
    611.6 KB · Views: 4
  • A37CD7F2-F385-478A-A133-C6A44447DA5E.png
    A37CD7F2-F385-478A-A133-C6A44447DA5E.png
    1 MB · Views: 4
  • 31FB9FA3-98B7-4C29-8433-53AAFFFFB21D.png
    31FB9FA3-98B7-4C29-8433-53AAFFFFB21D.png
    501 KB · Views: 4
:welcome fellow Canadian!

Yeah, it really sucks that we can't get most of the stuff they do in the States...

I have a livestock supply store not too far from me where I purchased some Absorbine Silver Honey. It was amazing for healing wounds on my duck that got attacked by (I assume) a rat!

1682430170445.jpeg

You can get it on Amazon, but it was actually cheaper at the farm shop.

Thank you for taking the ducks in, and for joining us here! We have a really good bunch of very knowledgeable and supportive people.

I didn't even know there were places like this in Canada... Thank you for taking these girls in! Now they can live as a duck should!

Back
Top Bottom