Pekin ducks too small for muscovy drakes?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by nanaluvsgps, Apr 15, 2012.

1. nanaluvsgps

nanaluvsgps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2012
    Australia
    I'm considering getting two female Pekins to pair off with my two Muscovy drakes. Would this work?
    Thanks in advance

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I don't think so Muscovy ducks are quite a bit smaller than the drakes and I'd think Pekin would be about the same size as the Muscovy duck. you know most likely the off spring will be sterile. I do think you'd be better off getting more than 1 duck apiece for your drakes they can wear out the girls breeding and the more females the less likely fighting will go on between the drakes, but there probably will still be some fighting.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  3. nanaluvsgps

Apr 5, 2012
    Australia
    Thank-you :). Does sterile in Ducks mean the same as infertile?

4. nanaluvsgps

Apr 5, 2012
    Australia
    Sorry just searched it up, and no that is something I just found out Thanks. Like they say allways finding something new everyday ;)

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Me too! I don't know where in Australia you are but we have a ,member called Ian who lives in Australia who has beautiful Muscovies. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  6. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I think that Pekin Muscovy cross is what they do commercially to get the hybrids for the meat market. So, yes, it works.

7. nanaluvsgps

Apr 5, 2012
    Australia
    I'm actually looking for some muscovy ducks (now that I found out about infertility), and can't seem to find anyone with nice, pure white ducks up for sale. Their is quite a few ducklings but the boys might be a little rough with them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by